Author Topic: One pot curry series  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
One pot curry series
« on: November 21, 2022, 02:30 PM »
I’m sure some of you will have seen Latif’s Inspired YouTube channel.  This week I made one of his ‘One Pot’ curries, where no base gravy is needed. Just for a change.
https://youtu.be/-GR7ElV5WeE

I made a slight variation, as was cooking for the missis too - leaving out the chilli powder, adding a single dried red chilli and added 2 tsp of the excellent balti paste shared by our man Livo. 

https://www.kidspot.com.au/kitchen/recipes/balti-paste-scratch/n805h9rv

Also to finish, added 1 tsp mango chutney.  It made for an excellent curry. Not BIR by any means, but very, very tasty.

Latif has a few dishes on his channel using this method.  Nothing particularly new about it, we’ve all seen more traditional curries where onions are cooked down, but I have to say, this worked well for me.
Interestingly, he seems to use the same spice mix across different dishes, varying only the chilli powder.

2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
x tsp chilli powder

He also adds the kasuri methi and garam masala near the end. Not sure of the significance.

The vindaloo will be my next cook.

This is well worth a bash if you’re out of Mick’s base. :Clown:

Robbo

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: One pot curry series
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 05:00 PM »
It's amazing what some of the Bangladeshi chefs can do with those four spices.  Staff curry/desi style.  Usually knocks into touch most of the BIR stuff they turn out.

Rob

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: One pot curry series
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 10:52 PM »
I'm glad you're enjoying that paste. I love it and recommend others give it a go. It really doesn't take long to make up and it's quite simple. Well worth it.  I like Latif's channel.  He is a very genuine guy who appears to enjoy sharing his knowledge and skills.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 12:16 AM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes