Author Topic: brick lane  (Read 2652 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
brick lane
« on: November 21, 2022, 04:53 PM »
One place I've always wanted to visit for my curry fix is Brick Lane. Heard both good and bad things about it so I thought the only way to find out for sure is to pay a visit in person. Had a day out in London on Friday with my son so we made it our last port of call...boy was it a mistake.

There seems to be no end of restaurants to choose from, most of them have 'Best curry chef' or 'Best curry house in London' stickers proudly stuck on the front of their window, I'm sure they get these printed off from some dodgy website.

In the end we chose Aladins, had plenty of good reviews, some famous punters in the past including Gordon Ramsey and even King Charles....can't go wrong I thought.

So, the papadams came up first...stone cold...not a good start But I thought I'd give them the benefit of doubt.

Next up was a Chicken tikka korai...onions and peppers raw, dodgy chicken tikka and hardly any sauce, what was there was bland.

I ordered a Chicken tikka pathia balti...awful....tasteless chicken tikka, runny gravy with no onions/peppers and sauce that tasted nothing like a pathia, no sweetness, heat, really poor.

The onion bhajis we had were even worse, more like stodgy pakoras, nothing like the light crispy ones my local place give me.

Don't know who writes the reviews for this place but I can honestly say one of the worst curries I've had in a very long time!!!!!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: brick lane
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 10:44 PM »
Wow, JB.  That's pretty disappointing then.  If a place isn't going to even try, you have to wonder why it's there.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 12:17 AM by livo »

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: brick lane
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2022, 11:14 AM »
Touted as the best Indian restaurant in London (or one of).  Award winning chef and recipes.  Just had a look at their menu/prices.  Soon adds up. Bad they got everything wrong JB.  I was in London at the end of May this year (Ride London) and saw Brick Lane for the first time.  Was tempted.  Glad I didn't bother now.  I was actually pretty stuffed after the all-you-can-eat English breakfast at the Premier Inn Hub, King's Cross.

Rob

©2024 Curry Recipes