Author Topic: Chef Din's Multi Paste (Tandoori / Kashmiri / Tikka)  (Read 591 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chef Din's Multi Paste (Tandoori / Kashmiri / Tikka)
« on: November 25, 2022, 01:42 AM »
In this video Chef Din demonstrates his "multi-purpose" paste.  Even though he says he prefers to us the Big P for convenience in his restaurants, he gives this so people who can't buy P have the ability to make their own.

Tandoori Paste is easy to buy but I always enjoy making things from scratch.  I may make some adjustments and different batches with one being more in line with the Kashmiri Ver I made 2 summers back from my own chillis.  They were really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwk2DfJjK0&t=189s

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chef Din's Multi Paste (Tandoori / Kashmiri / Tikka)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 03:57 PM »
Wow, he roasts those whole spices way longer and hotter than I do.  I’m clearly under-doing mine, so will have to try that.  I’ve never grown Kashmiri chillies. I wonder if I can get seeds here. Something to check.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chef Din's Multi Paste (Tandoori / Kashmiri / Tikka)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2022, 11:52 PM »
He does, doesn't he Robbo?  He really gets them smoking.

On the chillis, I was able to get "Kashmiri" seeds here in Australia from a seed merchant without too much trouble. Remember that often chilli sold as Kashmiri is actually Byadgi, so include this variety in your search.  If you can buy bags of whole Kashmiri chilli at your Indian Grocer, I had great success growing plenty of plants from 1 particular bag. I germinated over 120 plants with nearly 100% viability, but I only got 1 seedling to germinate out of another brand and a third bag had zero.  I have thousands of seeds out of the good bag, and now of course I have seeds from the plants I grew.

I'll go down and check what brand it was as it's slipped my memory just now.  You may be able to get hold of them over there, otherwise just try as many different ones as you can find.  The bags of whole dried chillies aren't expensive, and you still get to use them after removing the seeds.

The brand probably won't help much since it appears they are packaged by a company here in Sydney. Selco / EPR Food and Spice.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 10:43 AM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes