Author Topic: Chicken Tikka, Balti Aphrodisiac, Balti Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi  (Read 604 times)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Chicken Tikka

Lazizza tikka botti paste, a little orange food colouring, Coleman's mint sauce and veg oil.  Still my favourite tikka.

Balti Aphrodisiac

Loosely based on Lora Munro's recipe. 

https://thebirminghambaltibowlco.com/blogs/news/balti-aphrodisiac

Using MDB's 10/10 balti base here, so was able to leave out/reduce most of Lora's ingredients.

Settled on 1/2 tsp cumin powder and 1/2 tsp ground green cardamon.  2 tsp dried methi.  Coconut flour mixed with double cream (instead of coconut milk). 1 tbsp grated ginger.  Tiny pinch of gm and chopped pistachio to finish.

Not bad, fiery.  One chilli would have been enough (used 3 small red).  A few curry leaves would turn it into a fancy Chicken Ceylon (with nuts).  I would play it safe and stick with Balti Chicken as a Valentine's day special.

Balti Chicken Jalfrezi

Low on base gravy for this one.  More oil than base to be honest.  I was tempted to look for a slotted spoon and sizzler dish, to fashion a Chicken Shashlik out of it, but carried on.

Well, it doesn't appear to be under-cooked.  Perhaps I should have left more of the oil in.  Still lush though.  This one is a keeper. The balti oil is just out of this world!   

Rob

Mixed up the photos.  The Jalfer in the pan is a Balti Chicken Jalfrezi.  The one presented in the balti bowl is this one, which is actually a Balti Chicken Tikka and Mushroom Jalfrezi, I think :)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:28 AM by Kashmiri Bob »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Tikka, Balti Aphrodisiac, Balti Chicken Tikka Jalfrezi
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 04:24 PM »
That tikka looks proper lush. I know you mention Lazizza tikka botti paste, but there's a dry packet as well. Do you know if they're interchangeable? Never actually tried this and might give it a go.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 07:28 PM »
It does look good. I've used the powder Santa and I like it. I've never tried the paste so I can't say they are the same, but it is good nonetheless.  I like all the Laziza products I've tried so far which is more than I can say for other "ready to use" masala packets.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 09:05 AM »
Recall using the tikka botti packet and it was pretty good.  The paste is top notch though, imo.  I googled the ingredients for the packet and copied them for the paste. 

Packet

Red Chilli, Coriander, Powder, Salt, Turmeric, Dried Garlic 3%,  Dried Ginger 3%, Dried Mango, Paprika, Roasted Cumin Powder, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Tartaric Acid, Food Colour E-110 (FD&C Yellow 6), Food Colour E-129 (FD&C Red 40).

Paste

Red Chilli, Coriander, Salt, Turmeric, Soybean oil, water, garlic 7 %, Ginger 7 %, Roasted Cumin Powder,  Black Pepper, Cardamom,  Colour Paprika Extract, Acidity Regulators Citric Acid (E-330), Acetic Acid (E-260).

I was expecting more ingredients.  No artificial colours in the paste, which is probably why I add some (BIR style).  Definitely root ginger in the paste.  You can see it.  Reckon the plentiful steeped oil in the paste lifts it to another level.

Worth a go Santa, either.  I think the consensus on here was that Laziza is best for a tikka starter, it's rather bold for some of the milder curries.

I find all other tikka offerings pretty dull by comparison, even though they usually need more prep.  Don't get me started on some of the rubbish TA/restaurant tikka, hereabouts anyway :)

Agree with livo on their other packet mixes.  In particular had some good results using the Yakhni Pulao.  Just adding it to one-pot trad style curries.  Had no luck with their seekh kebab mix though.

Rob   

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 06:00 PM »
I'll have to get over to the corner shop then. He sells the dry packet but I don't think he has the paste which is why I asked.

©2024 Curry Recipes