Author Topic: Nepalese cuisine, worth a try if you can get it  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Nepalese cuisine, worth a try if you can get it
« on: December 03, 2022, 12:16 AM »
Had an old friend in town this week so went to the closest restaurant that serves Indian food. I’d had takeout from there but this was my first in-person visit.
https://tasteofhimalayas.com/

Didn’t take any pics, too busy eating and catching up, but we had a couple of items that were new to me and certainly worth tracking down recipes.

Appetizers
Chhoela.  A chicken dish similar to tikka, chopped with a ton of herbs and spices. Delicious. Searched online for recipes and there are a couple of variations in the name.  Choila, chhoyela and more.
Momo. Steamed dumplings, just as you’d find in Chinese restaurants. Very nice but a bit odd as a starter on curry night.

With the main courses (chicken chilli masala, excellent and lamb podina, minty, spicy and also excellent), we had garlic naan and a bread I’d not had before.
Onion Kulcha, a flat bread stuffed with cooked onions. Very similar to a naan and absolutely delicious. I’m definitely going to track down recipes for those.

Good food and a slight variation on my usual Indian fare and something to explore further.

Robbo

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Nepalese cuisine, worth a try if you can get it
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2022, 09:19 AM »
Definitely concur with "Nepalese cuisine, [well] worth a try if you can get it".  Some of the best BIR cuisine I have ever eaten has been from Nepalese restaurants, the last really memorable one being in Swanley (Kent).  The one in St Austell (Cornwall) is OK, and the one in Truro (also Cornwall) probably better.  The one in Babbacombe (Devon) was something of a disappointment.
--
** Phil.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 03:47 PM »
Odd that they refer to themselves as being in the 'downton' of St Charles, IL; is that deliberate? (a h/t to Downton Abbey, or something?!)

But yeah, Nepalese lamb is the best!

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 10:40 PM »
I think that’s most likely a language issue. Downtown St.Charles the intent. Been looking up Nepalese recipes and once I’m out of my stock of Mick’s excellent base, I’m going to try some, just for variety.

Robbo

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 05:16 PM »
My favourite local ‘Indian’ is Nepalese.
Jai Kathmandu - Northenden Manchester.
Sadly, after 34 years the owner is retiring & selling up. His sons are talking of maybe starting up in smaller premises in Cheadle

Offline Stophammer

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 11:28 PM »

©2024 Curry Recipes