Author Topic: Jamaican Jerk Paste  (Read 2881 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Jamaican Jerk Paste
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:27 PM »
I made this yesterday and they turned out to be exceptional kebabs. I wish I had taken pics of the paste as it was being made plus pics of them cooking on the BBQ. I will next time but here is the recipe.... :)

Jamaican Jerk Paste

Ingredients:
1 tbsp Oil
2 Onions, finely chopped
2 fresh red chillies finely chopped. (I used 1 scotch bonnet).
1 Garlic clove crushed (I used 3)
1 inch piece of fresh ginger (grated, shredded)
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp all spice
1 tsp Tabasco red pepper sauce (I used Crystal)
2 tbsp Rum
2 tbsp lime juice (plus the rind)
Salt and ground black pepper

Method:
Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions and cook for 10 minutes on a low to medium heat until soft and golden in colour. Stir in the chillies, garlic, ginger, thyme and allspice and fry gently for a further 2 minutes.

Stir in the Tabasco or red pepper sauce, rum, lime rind and juice.

Simmer until the mixture forms a dark paste with a rich aroma. Season with salt and pepper, and leave to cool.

Put in a blender and blend until smooth but rough paste.

I made Chicken Kebabs with this yesterday. Cut 4 chicken breasts into 2 inch cubes and add the marinade, add a little extra oil if needed to ensure all the chicken is covered. Pop it into the fridge for around 4 hours.

Thread the chicken onto sticks with pieces of fresh green chopped pepper in between and barbecue until the chicken is done, turning frequently to prevent burning.

Keep a third of the paste back for basting and add a little oil to the paste to make it work while the chicken is on the BBQ. Delicious!!! :)

I also made some Chicken Kebabs with a Thai peanut sauce which my baby gave me the recipe for. I'll also post that on here too :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaican Jerk Paste
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:59 PM »
976bar,

this one of my fav all timers. i use chicken and serve in pittas with salsa.

the jerk mix powder can be stored for ages then make the marinade when u need.

jerk mix powder:

onion powder   2 tbsp   
dried chives   1 tbsp   
dried thyme   1 tbsp   
allspice   1 tbsp    (important ingredient)
salt   1 tsp    
dark sugar   2 tbsp   
black pepper   2 tsp   
cayenne pepper   2 tsp   can use chilli
garlic powder   2 tsp   
grated nutmeg   1 tsp    
ground cinnamom    2 tbsp   

marinade:   
jerk mix powder   1 tbsp
clear honey   2 tbsp
dark rum   2 tbsp

Nb u can use the marinade straightaway

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Hi Jerry,

This looks a winner, I'll definitely give this one a go. My daughters fianc'e is Jamaican and he makes it all the time, and its fantastic.

I'll put this one the plate for him and let you know how it goes :)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 08:55 PM »
ooh, I just got to try this 976bar & Jerry,
I spent quite a while in Jamiaca many years ago with work and the jerk chicken & pork was amazing from the road side vendors.  Tried the supermarket pastes etc here which were ok. (dunns river falls the best but hotter/spicier than there which I enjoyed all the same) but I have never had a go at making my own (not knowlegable enough with spices).  Jerk chicken is on a par with tandoori chicken as one of my all time favourite dishes.  When I get the spices together I will give them both a go,

cheers

Will

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:53 AM »
mmmmmm jerk chicken, rice and peas and some lovely warm fried dumplings! I'll have to give these a go too....we're a bit "curried out" so we're having a bit of a break :o Having said that, I made some samosas yesterday - I'll have to post some pics :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:00 AM »
I'll put this one the plate for him and let you know how it goes :)

976bar/Willyeckerslike,

will be real interesting how u both get on - our's is the closest we've got to the real thing having no "insider" info.

i'll give 976bar's ago for sure. the dish is real popular with the family.

ps i butterfly the chicken breast and then slice after cooking - feel this cooks the chicken better than cubing.

ps my post a while ago has the salsa recipe and the original jerk recipe although i've noticed a few question marks seemed to have surfaced in coping from excel. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2593.0

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 08:57 AM »
976bar,

i'm not quite there on this one - down to the overall principle. the taste is very nice. i felt it is a tad more authentic than my version although i've never been to Jamaica.

it's the use of onion and the thk paste it produces that i struggled with. for me i felt once u've got the paste the chicken (and some liquid) should be added and the whole lot go in the oven. the paste clogged up my bbq big style. i used all the past on 2 off breasts which with hindsight was far too much - more like 1 tbsp would have been enough.

as a minor point i found it difficult to know how long to simmer the paste for as mine never really darkened unless i missed the change. i cooked it for ~30 mins.

having said all the above no one complained in the family - so it must be v.good.

going fwd i'm very tempted to leave out the onion and simply add the rest of the ingredients straight into the chicken.

for info i used 1 tsp of crushed red chili and 1/2 tsp McIlhenny Tabasco so that the family would not shout "too" spicy.

really enjoyed giving it a go and will make again for sure as it's defo close to the real mccoy - many thanks 976bar
Ingredients:

Finished Paste:

976bar Jerk LHS (cajun RHS) Nb intended to make both jerk side by side but had no onion pwdr having already had trip out to get tabasco.

©2024 Curry Recipes