Author Topic: Base gravy freezer storage: reusable silicone bags  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Base gravy freezer storage: reusable silicone bags
« on: December 08, 2022, 01:26 PM »
Trying these out from:

www.musthaveideas.co.uk  (search for "Seal n Stand")

Good so far.  First go.  Pricey but there are often offers/voucher codes.  They are heavy duty and apparently will last for 1000s of uses.  You get 1 x 1000 ml and 2 x 500 ml.  Perfect for me with a batch of MDB's base.  Undiluted (cold) I filled all of the bags for the freezer.  Best to use a jug, or as I found it can get messy.  What's left was diluted and used, or stored in my small stock pot in the fridge.

Just finished the last of the base in the small bags.  Was hoping to keep the bigger one for the holiday period.  No signs of leakage or wear after freezing and being in the dish washer (top shelf, auto wash 55-65 degrees).  They are not turmeric proof though, stains remain, although not bothered as won't be using them for anything else.

Will report back when they have been thoroughly tested.

On price again it may be worth keeping an eye on Ebay/Amazon, to see if they turn up on there.

Rob

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Base gravy freezer storage: reusable silicone bags
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 02:44 PM »
No signs of leakage or wear after freezing and being in the dish washer (top shelf, auto wash 55-65 degrees). 
Did you put it in the dishwasher full or empty ?!

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 03:26 PM »
There will be more typos Phil.  Using a tablet and it's proving tricky to get the hang of, particularly as the left/right mouse buttons don't work for some appications, including CRO.  We may be onto a useful method for defrosting base gravy though.

Rob :)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 04:02 PM »
30% discount at the moment. 2 med 1 large £15.99. Look very good

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 08:59 PM »
I have seen one of those sealing devices somewhere before, but I'm not sure where — possibly in the hotel kitchen.  But for myself, I prefer a vacuum sealer and continuous-form sealing bags which come on a roll.  I have no idea how they compare for longevity (etc) with the "Musthaveidea" range, but they are infinitely cheaper and so cheap that they can be thrown away if they puncture (which none ever has for me).
--
** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 06:51 AM »
With musthaveideas there is postage on top, with a discount code to offset this; not sure how much it is.  For me at checkout I got yet another offer, to buy the bags again at 50 % off, I think, with no additional postage.  I declined this.

A while back I also ordered their Samurai knife sharpener.  On arrival the packaging suggested it was somewhat small, but on opening found they had mistakenly sent me two rolls of double-sided tape instead.  Contacted them and they sent out the sharpener; I was able to keep the Sumo tape.

The Samurai is perhaps a bit flimsy, but so far does the job, and quickly.   The tape will come in handy, it has already fixed an annoying rattle coming from the phone holder in my car.

Rob

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2022, 10:50 AM »
I have seen one of those sealing devices somewhere before, but I'm not sure where — possibly in the hotel kitchen.

I now know where — Tchibo made them, termed (in English) "Hand Sealer", product number EN 292 085.  No longer available, but significantly cheaper than the "musthaveideas" one when purchased.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 01:32 PM »
I have given up on these bags.  Not seeing much in the way of space saving.  Also, you need at least one big hand (shovel size) to keep the bag open whilst pouring base gravy into them.  Often involves some mess.  The most irritating thing, however, is that after washing it is impossible to dry them properly.  The silicone seems even more porous than plastic.  They should come with a bath towel and a hair dryer.  They will still come in handy for some things, so I won't throw them away.  Going back to Tupperware style tubs for the gravy.  Found some nice ones with tight fitting lids at a local shop.  Under 2£ each and made in the UK (of all places).

Rob     

©2024 Curry Recipes