Author Topic: Alternative to Singapore Steamboat cooking pot  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Alternative to Singapore Steamboat cooking pot
« on: January 13, 2023, 07:17 PM »
Ok - not sure if anyone has experienced this method cooking asian food. Basically a bowl heated from underneath by either charcoal, gas or electric heat source. In the bowl is a spicy stock. In this you place veg and different meats, fish etc in different course runs and fish out what you need when cooked. The resultant taste is bland - so sauce dips are used to jazz up the taste.
The Koreans have a differing approach - their bowl version has the heat source in the bowl & the lid is serrated / holey and cook strips of tasty marinated meats, fish directly on the lid.
My daughter set out to do a steamboat party for her daughters 18th last weekend - but didn’t trust the gas steamboat I gave her way back. I had discussed the Korean method with her previously. She went online and bought a Tom Yang fire pot for £120.
Basically this combines the best of both cooking methods described. A centre grill plate to cook marinated meats, surrounded by a stock bowl to cook veg. Result - a very successful party with much tastier food than a straight steamboat.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative to Singapore Steamboat cooking pot
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 07:26 PM »
I’ve had many variations of hot pot in China, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, and never had a bland experience.  I love that stuff. My fave South Korean dining experience was grilling marinated meat at the table.  A very old restaurant didn’t have gas burners though, the staff would just bring a stainless steel bucket full of red hot coals that was lowered into a hole in the middle of the table and a grate placed over the top. A foil cake mould filled with cloves of garlic and oil sat on the grate and we would periodically just pick up whole cloves and eat them with the meat and veg. Man, I enjoyed my years in Asia…

Robbo

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 08:52 AM »
I’ve had many variations of hot pot in China, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, and never had a bland experience.  I love that stuff.

Although my experience is not as wide-spread as Robbo's, I too have experienced steamboats in a number of countries, including the UK (made by my wife's family), Singapore (professional) and elsewhere.  And, like Robbo, I too have never had a bland experience.  One of my favourite meals, in fact.
--
** Phil.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 10:02 AM »
By the term ‘bland’ - I am comparing the straight steamboat ‘poached’ meat in stock to the by far tastier marinated meat strips cooked on lid top as a grill Korean style. Any steamboat meal is a memorable experience. Try it if you haven’t. If you want to start a new entertain your friends with a difference experience - buy a Tom Yang fire pot available online - a brilliant combination of steamboat & korean grill plus recipe hints

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 02:10 PM »
Not convinced that 1.8kW would provide much by way of Maillard reaction unless one kept the size of each grilled item rather small ...

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2023, 04:44 PM »
Believe me oh cynical one - using / tasting is believing. Read what I said about what was being grilled - Korean style!  Slivers of the marinaded meats - about 2 inches long and quarter to three eighths of an inch thick. Absolutely bang on. The only thing that took too long because of thickness was belly pork. It was a brilliant party meal for 12 people.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 04:54 PM »
Are these suitable, £50 from Lidl?
https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/asian-kitchen/silvercrest-2-in-1-tabletop-grill-with-hot-pot/p57945
Same style as Tom Yang - grill slightly smaller & same wattage. At half the price of Tom Yang well worth a try. Look at Tom Yang site for recipes , marinades and cooking recommendations - note comments on meat size to ensure grills well & quickly.
The whole thing is a diy experience for the guests to get involved and you just keep bringing out the various courses to keep eating and eating - can end up a long, memorable night and you will be booked again as the host entertainer with the mostest.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 06:42 PM »
Just bought myself a brand new Tom Yang Hot Pot off ebay with an offer of 75 pounds.

©2024 Curry Recipes