Author Topic: BIR supplies  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
BIR supplies
« on: February 14, 2023, 03:41 PM »
Got most of what I needed yesterday locally, but went to another place today for a couple of things I forgot.  Last time I went here was before the lockdowns. Looking at my receipt when I got back thought not too bad price-wise, but should have spotted the Laziza packets earlier; that can't be right, surely? Maybe it is. Never mind,  The veg (last item) is two bunches of fresh methi, looking forward to cooking it.  Oh yes. 

The knife set is from Amazon and has a 10 year guarantee.  What they did not tell me was that the guarantee only applies to NZ and AUS.  Must say, very sharp knives. I will need to be careful.

Rob

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: BIR supplies
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 07:44 PM »
I haven't ever seen that Laziza packet over here.  Is it any good?

The Wiltshire Stay Sharp knives have been around over here for decades.  I remember the first one we had in the 1970s.  They were first released in 1969 and there would have been very few household kitchens that didnt have at least one.  They do stay very sharp but due to repeated sharpening every time they are put into, and removed from the scabbard, they reduce in blade width very gradually over time. This eventually causes it to no longer make contact with the sharpening mechanism.  That set would have cost Au $56 (rrp) today but could probably get it cheaper on special.  If you keep them away from the scabbard and only use it occasionally, you'll get more than 10 years out of them. There are some of the originals still around after 50 years.

That said, the riveted on handle will be the downfall.  Prior to 2020 they always had high density moulded black plastic (nylon?) handles that never let go.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 09:38 PM by livo »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 09:45 PM »
My missis has a knife from Pampered Chef with a sharpener built into the sheath. Top of the image. Must be 30 years old and still very sharp.  My old Sabatier at the very bottom was my first purchase and is also 30 years and still my go-to. I picked up the larger knife and the cleaver on a whim when I found a Sabatier factory outlet.  I thought I’d like the cleaver more, for smashing up garlic but it’s very thick and not as ‘slicy’ as the knives.

Robbo

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 12:56 PM »
Thanks both for tips on the knives. These will be the best I've had.  Usually pick up the cheapest supermarket efforts that don't last long.  The set cost £16.30 on Amazon, so overall happy with yesterday's shop.  Did a quick search online for Laziza Lahori Chargha.  Best price was £1.99 and expect there would be postage on top.  Looks to be out of stock at a lot of places. 

Yes, I  think it makes a good starter livo.  Found this old post:

www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=12833.msg104711#msg104711

Read more recently somewhere that Chargha seasoning should really include Chaat Masala.  The isn't any in the Laziza packet version.  I might try a sprinkle on top to finish instead of what I used to use when making it again.

Must mention the Sofra garlic mayo bought yesterday.  Recommend avoiding this product at all costs.  "Special Taste" printed on the front of the bottle.  It's special alright.  Unimaginably bad.  Runny rank stuff.  Looking at what's in it was trying to work out how they arrived at 14.6 g fat per 100 g, when sunflower oil is first on the list of ingredients.   Misread it.  "Water, sunflower oil".  I have in the past bought various other Sofra things and they are not great.  Think the only one I would buy again is their Mango Sauce Amba (another condiment).  It is quite nice.  Just had a look at the main ingredient for this and it's crushed apple.  Then crushed mango.  Hmm.

For my next garlic mayo I am going to buy a jar of Hellman's full-fat and stick some garlic power in it.

Rob

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 07:38 PM »
I'd never heard of Chargha until yesterday and as chance would have it, I'd just bought a few pepper and salt crown roasts. I skinned one and made up the spice marinade from scratch, steamed it, rested it and then deep fried. I'm a believer. I just followed the instruction on the recipe I used and sprinkled with chaat masala to serve after frying.

I'll be in little India in 3 weeks so I'll have a search for the Laziza pack.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 04:14 PM »
I'd never heard of Chargha until yesterday and as chance would have it, I'd just bought a few pepper and salt crown roasts. I skinned one and made up the spice marinade from scratch, steamed it, rested it and then deep fried. I'm a believer. I just followed the instruction on the recipe I used and sprinkled with chaat masala to serve after frying.

I'll be in little India in 3 weeks so I'll have a search for the Laziza pack.

Nice one livo! From scratch expect it was at least as good as the packet, and probably a whole lot better.  Plan to try it out in a pressure cooked.  I've got this steamer basket gadget.  It's amazing. It changes size to match your pan.  Opens like a steel flower.  I think the tech must have been adapted from the weaponry special effects department for the Predator movies.

Been using it to make Rusholme Tandoori Chicken.  Very close now.  The green plastic handle thing in the middle is turning deep red due to the shed load of food colouring involved.  There are some interesting youtube videos of chefs making TC in a pressure cooker. 

Rob

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 11:08 PM »
I have one of those veggie steamers but mine has a little metal post with a ring for lifting. This can be removed by undoing the screw that holds it on.  I'll be using it this evening for a properly marinated whole skinned bird this time.  The marination for the crown roast was a bit brief as I did in a hurry.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 09:24 PM »
Disappointing after my previous crown roast piece. This was a whole organic bird about size 14. Steamed for 35 minutes and then rested for about 20, I only fried it for about 5 minutes each side. Dry dry dry and virtually no flavour.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 09:58 PM »
Er, "size 14" — what might that be as a weight in lb or kg ?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 08:44 PM »
1.4 kg

©2024 Curry Recipes