Author Topic: BIR supplies  (Read 4542 times)

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: BIR supplies
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 12:32 PM »
Recently found myself on Coventry Road in Birmingham, which hereabouts is affectionally known as Bangla Town.  A good time to pick up some old favourites, for dips and stuff.  My go-to supermarket here has gone, but plenty more to choose from.

Didn't go mad.  Pickles.  A couple of jars of Mr. Naga,  Pran Naga and Nicobena Satkara Hot.  Also got best part of 1 kg cassia.  What shall I do with all this cassia?

Rob  :smile:

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2023, 08:37 PM »
I consider myself lucky to have several reliable stores for curry making supplies, including the restaurant supply store.

I don't know about back in the UK, but I often find the same spices in the "ethnic food aisle" or "ethnic food store" for significantly less money than in the regular grocery store. Even found the same spice in the spice shelf and the ethnic section of the same store, but the ethnic one is noticeably cheaper.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 10:49 AM »

Trialling these out.  So far made some lamb chops and a curry with the Mumtaz basaar.  The chops are mighty fine.  Having some of the curry this evening.  Not a particularly hot mix, which is not a bad thing.  Guess this fits with the restaurant branding.  Looking forward to trying the other one.  Interestingly, both of these include mustard oil.  Had similar many years ago from a local Pakistani store.  They had quite a selection.  Not now, they just sell the King of Spice basaar; a dry variety.  Since then I have seen the "oily" basaars described as having a texture like "damp sand".  I like this.

So, it's (still) Mick's MKI balti taking centre stage for me, but the occasional karahi will be nice too.  And lots of lamb chops. Lots.

Rob

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 11:30 AM »

Had a new smart meter fitted a couple of weeks back and had to clear out under the stairs for access.  Found this dish warmer in there still in its box.  It looked pretty naff; rubber wood, or something.  So I painted it (Cuprinol Urban Slate).  Now has a more contemporary appearance, which contrasts nicely with the oiled slate trivet.  I have a couple of small old black iron dishes too, so these should complete the look.  I think this colour is still in fashion as the exterior of several pubs hereabouts are resplendent in it.   BBQ season soon and looking forward to keeping the tikka/chops starters warm whilst arranging the main and paratha, etc. Everything together on the table.  Proper.  I must polish the 18/8 stainless cutlery.  Roll on the Summer!  I need to get out more.

Rob 

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 02:08 PM »
[...]I think this colour is still in fashion as the exterior of several pubs hereabouts are resplendent in it. 

There was also one (possibly this one) a few miles from my home in Chainhurst (Kent) when I last lived there (2017) — it was generally described as being "battleship grey", and I (and everyone else I knew) loathed it ...

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2024, 06:02 PM »
[...]I think this colour is still in fashion as the exterior of several pubs hereabouts are resplendent in it. 

There was also one (possibly this one) a few miles from my home in Chainhurst (Kent) when I last lived there (2017) — it was generally described as being "battleship grey", and I (and everyone else I knew) loathed it ...

Phil.  BS grey (and "undercoat") descriptions here too.  Will stick with it though.  It does need something mind, especially if the presentation involves one of Mick's balti dishes.  I may be able to stencil in a butterfly motif on the handle, in jet black, or perhaps silver.  Leave it with me :)

Rob

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2024, 11:24 AM »
Ramadan week at Lidl from tomorrow. Various things, but doing some packs of spices at 2 for £1.50 (99p each).

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2024, 12:16 PM »

Restocked with the lovely Botti paste.  Seems even more difficult to get these days and some of the prices online are silly.  "Free" postage indeed.  Still, had to have some and it was the last one in stock.  Wasn't entirely sure the Tandoori paste (even more expensive) was a good idea.  Recall when I used last it was OK, but not really what I was looking for BIR Tandoori wise.  However, just been looking at the ingredients list for both jars.  The spices are identical.  Seems only the proportion of roasted cumin differs; more in the Botti paste.  Expect there is more paprika extract (for colour) in the Tandoori paste.  This is good news (for me).  I will be able to use the Tandoori paste for making tikka.  Riya's packet Masala for Tandoori dishes.  Sorted!

Rob

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2024, 08:41 PM »
I like the Laziza products usually, but just the other day I decided to use a packet mix from my pantry. It was terrible. Quorma.  After following the instruction on the box the dish was awful to the point of going in the bin. A quick look at the ingredients list told the story. Number 1 Salt, number 2 chilli.  Nothing else had any input.  It was salt chicken with way too much chilli. Terrible stuff and I had bought 2 boxes, so 4 packets.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2024, 03:25 PM »
Got myself a nice cast iron Lodge pan.  Plan to use it mainly for finishing off home-made kebabs.

Mr Naga Gold.  New extra hot version with the naga content upped to 95 %.  Not tried it yet.

Rob

©2024 Curry Recipes