Author Topic: Balti Lamb and Balti King Prawn Jalfrezi  (Read 518 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Balti Lamb and Balti King Prawn Jalfrezi
« on: April 01, 2023, 12:00 PM »
A few of this week's efforts.

Chef's Special Balti Lamb (Orghini)

Balti King Prawn Jalfrezi

Balti Lamb Jalfrezi.  On the menu tonight. Low calorie option.

Rob

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Balti Lamb and Balti King Prawn Jalfrezi
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 10:04 AM »
Mate, no offence intended (again) but a couple of those dishes have got more oil in them than my deep fryer.  Is that really how you would eat it?  I know a lot of people like a bit of oil on the curry but that is more than I've ever seen willingly photographed and posted.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 12:06 PM »
Spooned off for reuse livo, except the first lamb dish.  It's still in the freezer.  Will re-heat in a balti bowl and the blow torch will take care it.  Smoky.  Mick suggested a while back putting excess oil back into the base gravy.  This makes sense, adds flavour and limits waste.  If the base keeps getting its oil topped up, it may be possible to start every dish (except veg) with some of it. 

I guess if you keep on doing this though, at some point it is going to go badly wrong, which makes me think back to a certain binned balti.  How much oil was in that one?

I wonder if it might be used for other things too, for example pre-cooked garlic, for Balti garlic(y) dishes.  I think most things will be pre-cooked or prepped for the balti.  It's the BIR way.  Chicken included, as Santa suggested.  I have also started blitzing the onion/green pepper (with salt and oil) for the pan-cook stage, to speed things up.  Keeps for quite a while in the fridge too.

Did enjoy that Jalfer last night. First one this month.  :like:

Rob

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 09:28 PM »
Ok. You had me worried there. I don't mind a bit of oil but that last picture is very well lubricated.,

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 10:53 AM »
Just for you livo.  Full-lube in all its glory.  Defrosted, reheated and skimmed/torched.  :smile:

Went to town a bit with the torch.  Cleared off all the remaining oil, so had to put a little back in. I was after that pesky cherry tomato, which so far had simply refused to be cooked.  Got it though, it exploded.  For a second thought I'd also burned off the green peppers, but they were just hiding in there.  Added the few bits of ginger garnish, to disguise, in case I'd fashioned a cow pat, but thankfully there was no sign of crustiness.

Ultra-lush Birmingham Balti.  Sweet, spicy, smoky.  With Mick's MKI benchmark depth of flavour.  The pre-cooked meat for this one included basaar masala and ground black pepper.  I think this approach (customising the pre-cook) is the way to go for red meat balti made with MDB base, as opposed to tinkering with spice additions at the pan cook.  The base is perfect and should not really be messed with, not excessively anyway.

Rob

©2024 Curry Recipes