Author Topic: Lahori Chargha Starter  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Lahori Chargha Starter
« on: April 05, 2023, 11:58 AM »
Makes a nice change from standard tandoori/tikka. Additions to the packet mix were lime juice, ground black pepper and veg oil.  Small skinless chicken cut into 4 pieces. Pressure cooked in the basket.   Enough for 3-4 starters.  Brushed with butter ghee and reheated in the micro.  If you liked the Manchester Tandoori Chicken starter, you will probably like this one too.

Had loads of marinade/stock left.  Enough to do 1.2 kg Chargha chicken wings, which were also very good.

Rob

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Lahori Chargha Starter
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 07:15 PM »
Pressure cooked in the basket.   

Tell me about this last part, Rob.  Do you have an oil-safe pressure cooker, or by "pressure cooked" do you mean cooked in broth/steam ?
--
** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 10:57 AM »
Hi Phil.  Wasn't aware of any issues with oil and a pressure cooker.  I haven't experienced any so far.  Will look into it. 

For the Chargha quarters put the steamer basket thingy (BIR supplies thread) into the empty pressure cooker.  Then poured in about 2/3 cup of water.  Marinaded 8 h (drained off) chicken quarters are then placed in the basket.  15 mins cooking time when up to pressure (90 Kpa).  Adjust time depending on amount of chicken. Small  chicken (about 1.1 kg) used here. The same method is used for the Manchester tandoori chicken starter, except I find it looks better if cutting slits into the chicken for this is done after it's been cooked (because of the shed-load of red food colouring).  Cut slits into the chicken for the Chargha prior to adding marinade, as is done usually.

I let the pressure cooker depressurise by itself.  Then remove the basket to cool.  There's typically about an inch of stock now in the pressure cooker.  The basket thingy has little feet, so the Chargha hasn't been sat in the stock during cooking; not much of it anyway.

I reuse the stock immediately to make the 'Chargha' chicken wings.   No basket.  Add remaining Chargha marinate to the stock and mix in 1 heaped tbsp of Kashmiri chilli power.  A fair few green cardamoms (optional).  1.2 kg skin-on fresh chicken wings.  Mix everything up for a couple of minutes.  Then 15 mins at 90 Kpa. 

The pressure cooker I have is the stainless steel Amazon Basics one. 

Rob

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 12:27 PM »
Hi Phil.  Wasn't aware of any issues with oil and a pressure cooker.  I haven't experienced any so far.  Will look into it. 

I don't think it is a problem in your case, Rob, as you aren't trying to pressure-fry.  If you did, the pressure cooker would achieve a far higher temperature (in excess of 160 °C) than it does with a water-based medium (around 120 °C)  as a result of which the pressure seal might give way — *very* dangerous !.
--
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 12:30 PM »
Not KFC then, hey Rob?  The holy grail of true KFC is apparently pressure frying.  Oh, and the secret 11 herbs snd spices.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 04:36 PM »
The KFC near me is always busy.  Can't understand its popularity.  I suppose it's a step up from McDonalds, but still verging on the blandest of the bland.  I have read somewhere though that on the whole we Brits don't tolerate spicy food well. Apparently, many of us start sweating just at the sight of a bottle of HP sauce.  We do like grease and stodgy pies.  Chicken nuggets too.

Rob

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 05:16 PM »
The KFC near me is always busy.  Can't understand its popularity.  I suppose it's a step up from McDonalds, but still verging on the blandest of the bland.
Interesting — I don't find it bland at all, but subtly spiced and very much to my taste.  What I like in particular is the texture (of the legs and thighs, not of the breast) which I find really juicy and succulent.
I have read somewhere though that on the whole we Brits don't tolerate spicy food well.
Whence the almost universal British addiction to, and adoration of, of CTM.
Apparently, many of us start sweating just at the sight of a bottle of HP sauce.  We do like grease and stodgy pies.  Chicken nuggets too.
Speak for yourself !
--
** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 05:55 PM »
Interesting — I don't find it bland at all, but subtly spiced and very much to my taste.  What I like in particular is the texture (of the legs and thighs, not of the breast) which I find really juicy and succulent.
** Phil.

That's your neural reward centre pathways playing tricks on you Phil.  It's the grease you like.  This is how junk food works.  Do you have your KFC with extra fries?  :umy:

Rob

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 06:15 PM »
Do you have your KFC with extra fries?  :umy:
No, I order it without fries, because they have taken to serving fries with skin on, something I detest.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2023, 12:45 PM »
The KFC near me is always busy.  Can't understand its popularity.  I suppose it's a step up from McDonalds, but still verging on the blandest of the bland.

I have eaten KFC in various UK restaurants over the past few years, perhaps half a dozen times or more. It's pleasant enough as something for lunch. But I'm confused because the chicken never tastes of much at all. I would agree it's bland. But I recall thinking it was really tasty decades ago. Either my taste buds have become dulled or the recipe has been dumbed down beyond belief. I read on the KFC forum that some people say new owners changed the original recipe, It's hard to believe they would have made it so tasteless, though.

©2024 Curry Recipes