Author Topic: "Instant pot" (clone) lamb biryani  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
"Instant pot" (clone) lamb biryani
« on: May 04, 2023, 07:47 PM »
A few nights ago my wife brought home the remains of a portion of lamb dhansak from the Himalayan Spice in Liskeard.  Unfortunately she had eaten all but one piece of the lamb, so using 976bar's methdology for pre-cooking lamb, I cut up and pre-cooked a whole shoulder.  My wife was apprehensive, believing that the volume of bone would make the £7/kilo price uneconomic, but of a whole shoulder weighing 1,28kg the scapula weighed in at just over 90gm and and the shoulder joint at even less, so a very good price indeed IMHO. 

Unfortunately Rob's spicing didn't seem to complement the flavour of the dhansak, so I decided instead to turn it into a lamb biryani.  Now, ever since I acquired a Silvercrest "Instant pot" clone I have used it for cooking rice, no matter whether steamed, fried or pulao, and it does a first-class job, so this evening I used my "Perfect pulao" recipe (with added saffron) to make pulao rice in the Instant Pot, sautéeing the spices with the lid off before putting the lid on and switching to "Rice" mode ("less" setting, just six minutes, plus 10 or so to allow the safety interlock to release).  I then added the diced lamb (cut to roughly 3/4" pieces from Rob's initial 2" cubes), mixed it all together, put the lid back on and left it on its tickover/keep warm setting for maybe a further 30 minutes.  Overall the dish was very successful, with beautifully tender lamb pieces in a fragrant pulao, but the flavour was not as intense as I would have wished.  Next time I will use my MDH Bombay biryani mix and see how that works ...
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 07:18 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: "Instant pot" (clone) lamb biryani
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 12:19 AM »
Phil, if you haven't yet tried it, I highly rate Misty Ricardo's pre-cooked lamb method.  The flavour and texture is wonderful and it will lift any lamb dish.  I recently used the same method for beef (slow cook short rib beef taken off the bone) and it was just as good.  Give it a try next time and you won't be disappointed.  The leftover liquid from the cook is a delicious stock and adds wonderful flavour when added to the dishes.

https://mistyricardo.com/pre-cooked-lamb-recipe/

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 07:24 AM »
Phil, if you haven't yet tried it, I highly rate Misty Ricardo's pre-cooked lamb method.  The flavour and texture is wonderful and it will lift any lamb dish.  I recently used the same method for beef (slow cook short rib beef taken off the bone) and it was just as good.  Give it a try next time and you won't be disappointed.  The leftover liquid from the cook is a delicious stock and adds wonderful flavour when added to the dishes.

https://mistyricardo.com/pre-cooked-lamb-recipe/

Not yet tried it, Livo — I knew that there was a recipe here for pre-cooked lamb which was highly recommended, but I could not remember which, so I opted for Rob's (976bar's), whose judgement I trust; I will try MR's next time ...

Incidentally, I see that Pavani Gunikuntla has a recipe for "Instant pot" lamb biryani, so I may also give that a go ...
--

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 08:25 PM »
Monday 8th May.  I made this dish again tonight, using the remains of the pre-cooked lamb from the last batch, which I have been marinading in a rather more flavoursome curry sauce for the last 24 hours.  No other significant changes, although I did add some mixed masala to the spicing for the pulao (and one black cardamom).  The results were absolutely superb — as good a lamb pulao as I have ever eaten, and better than most.  No need even for my usual lime or mixed pickle — I just ate it as it came out of the Instant Pot, with no condiments whatsoever.  This one I shall make again !
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes