Author Topic: End of the boom for Birmingham’s Balti Triangle  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: End of the boom for Birmingham’s Balti Triangle
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 01:07 PM »
I should be reviewing the Shahi Nan Kabab (mentioned in the article) Balti chicken this weekend.  If it's good (I mean spectacular good) it will go head-to-head with one of Mick's MKI masterpieces.

I think the article is not dissimilar to the Rusholme curry mile scene.  If anything, the transformation in Manchester seems to have been quicker.  So many curry houses gone.  Many were proper balti houses too, just not in name. 

But Manchester gets all those new and wonderful authentic kebab places, whereas Birmingham settles for god-dammed burgers, and a knickerbocker glory.

Rob

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 12:05 PM »
An enjoyable visit to the Shahi yesterday, returning home with a top notch Birmingham balti (takeaway).  I am starting to see there appear to be two quite distinct types of the real-deal balti.  Thus, depending on where you go to get one, there are sparkling or non-sparkling varieties.  Both truly wonderful in their own way.  Absolutely fascinating stuff.  Review with photos and expert analysis soon.

Rob

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 10:51 AM »
Where "sparkling" implies what, exactly ?!

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 10:44 AM »
Where "sparkling" implies what, exactly ?!

4 days later and it's still no clearer, especially as he says both are wonderful.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 12:12 PM »
Apols.  Just about recovered from Ride London 100 a couple of weeks ago, and the weather is good so making the most of it :).

Sparkling, in the context of the balti spicing, where nothing takes over, yet the flavours seem to be darting everywhere, dancing if you like.  You just can't figure out what they are.  For example, Mick's Al Frash balti.  This is how I see it anyway.  Perhaps it's just my imagination. Also, in my defence, I have mentioned the balti spice sparkle/dance once or twice before, over the years.

Also behind with the Shahi review.  Have planned a new thread with reviews of the remaining balti houses in Birmingham.  This will be the first one.  Here are a couple of photos to be going on with.  So this is one of the places described in Santa's newspaper link. 

Top notch Balti chicken, absolutely stunning.  Heavily spiced with massive depth and a lovely sweetness.  Ultra-lush, but it's not a sparkler.  Black pepper and clove up front.  It will come highly recommended though.  Perhaps worth while waiting a little longer for the review, before rushing over there. Incidentally, it is also one of Andy Munro's top recommendations.

Hoping to get over to Khan's Fish Bar (Ladypool Road) later today.  A bit off the radar this one.  However, apparently, one can purchase a rather special Balti lamb (and chips) from here.  Served in a yellow polystyrene TA tray. I quite like the sound of this.

Rob

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 02:20 PM »
Look forward to the coming reviews Bob. Have just finished cooking the MDB mk1 base having exhausted all base in the freezer.  Hopefully I haven't botched this :Clown: Will provide some feedback on the resultant curry.  Whether I can rave about the results this base produces remains to be seen as I've not experienced a "real" balti against which to compare it.  I'll just have to make the comparison against the one one I cooked using the mk2 base.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 10:24 AM »
Hi all.  Apols again.  Been a little under the weather.  Minor issues with my giblets.

Normal service should resume soon.  I did visit Khan's Fish Bar.  Hmm.  Wasn't impressed with the Balti lamb.  Wishy-washy affair with very little lamb in it. Miles away from the balti magic. To top it off, I found a big lump of potato hiding in there. Binned it all. It could perhaps been better to have it with chips, as advertised, but had a naan instead. Their fish and chips looked good and based on this curry offering likely a better option.

Balti lamb

But hang on to your hats.  I seem to have found another top-notcher this week. Had an Uber Eats delivery from a place called Desi Roti & Khana.  Will have to check, but think geographically this one is outside the Balti Triangle.

Balti chicken

Fabulous.  Just 2 miles from me.  Popping over later today for more.  Expect the prices will be a fair bit lower for collection too.  Struck me this balti looks not unlike the Shahi's (TA) I had.  See photo earlier in this thread.  Both nothing like regular BIR, appearance and taste.  Both authentic Birmingham Balti.  Quality wise the Shahi will have edged it, in my opinion.  The DRK balti was (as usual) ordered medium hot,  but felt it needed a little more oomph.  I split it into two portions.  Reheated the second portion with 1 tsp Jalpur GM added.  This hit the spot and although unable to make a side-by-side comparison, felt the additional GM made the DRK taste incredibly similar to the Shahi.

Better than Mick's Al Frash (and Adil's)?  No.  Made differently?  Yes.  I am thinking extensive pressure cooking for these, but not sure.  Plenty salt.  It will be fun having a dabble.

Proper Balti review thread soon, giblets withstanding.  "Four Baltis".  Keep reading online there are four remaining Balti (Triangle) houses still going.  I can only see three named (Andy Munroe's blogs).  These being: Shabab's, Shahi, Popular Balti.  So not sure about the forth one.  Not to worry though.  I'll go with the Khyber Pass, a little out of the Triangle, but so is DRK, I think.  Rusholme too.

Rob       

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 02:37 PM »
Went to DRK on Saturday.  Wow!  Reckon this place will be in my top 5 Birmingham balti houses recommendations.  Currently, it's position #1 or #2 in close competition with the Shahi. 

This is what I got.  4 seekh kebab, 1 seekh kebab roll, 2 rotis, 1 naan.  Balti chicken ginger.  The kebab roll consists of 2 seekh kebabs in a naan with the dips and salad.  The chef offered to wrap everything separately, so I could put it together when I got home, which was a nice touch.  The roll kebabs are in the paper bag on the left in the photo.  The 2 rotis come free with any large curry, or you can have a free naan, or rice. Nice! Saw they had some rather fine looking multi-coloured boiled rice on display.  Think I'll have a portion next time as my freezer is filling up with rotis.  They are a lot thicker than they look.

For the balti I requested hot.  Got the option of how hot and went for not vindaloo hot. Now this balti was world class, a 10/10 all day long.  The ginger.  How has he done that?  Beautifully balanced, absolutely bang on the money. So fragrant.  A stunning dish.  Sparkly spicing.  I think it's ground ginger, mainly, there is root as well.  Must try this with MKI base. 

Rob

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2023, 03:47 PM »
Was back at DRK again on Sunday.  Loving this place.  Ordered 5 seekh kebabs, a large portion of chicken pakora, sweet boiled rice and a Balti chicken (madras).  Also got the 2 complementary rotis (not shown).

Another superb balti. Perhaps a little too much chilli heat for me.  Felt there may be a Basaar masala in this one. 

The previous Balti chicken ginger from here will take some beating.  Made a fair few MDB MKI Balti chicken ginger dishes myself recently.  Oh my word, top notch!  Rough chopped fresh ginger and garlic to start, cooked in balti oil for a couple of minutes.  Then the chopped onion/green pepper is added.  Next, pre-cooked chicken and all the base gravy.  I don't think multiple reductions are needed.  Halfway through cooking the balti add as much julienned ginger as you like.  When reduced to desired consistency sprinkle with 1/2 tsp ground ginger, to finish.  If making Balti jalfrezi ginger dishes I have also been sprinkling 1/2 tsp Jalper GM.  Mind-boggling quality.

Rob     

©2024 Curry Recipes