Author Topic: End of the boom for Birmingham’s Balti Triangle  (Read 3675 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: End of the boom for Birmingham’s Balti Triangle
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2023, 07:33 PM »
I complained the last time I dined there, they made me a new one on the spot, with the owner preparing/cooking it, but sad to say it was not better ...

So they took your curry away, faffed around for ten minutes, and brought the same curry out to you again.  :lol:

Tut tut, dear boy — you really should read the thread before replying ...  We are discussing keema naan, not curries !

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2023, 12:23 AM »
Saturday evening's home delivery.  Seekh kebab sizzler and Balti chicken courtesy of Shababs.  Complementary multi-dip and mayo.

Much better than the previous two instalments I had from here.  This time managed to eat 3 whole tsp of the balti before depositing it in the freezer.  Defrosting as I type.  Will see if it can be repaired tonight.

Rob

Am I reading this right Rob?  So, you buy a home delivery balti from Shababs but you can only eat 3 teaspoons of it before freezing it. You then need to defrost it and repair it, and you add that this was much better than the previous purchases. 

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2023, 08:56 AM »
Tut tut, dear boy — you really should read the thread before replying ...  We are discussing keema naan, not curries !

Yes indeed! I did actually read it but somewhere between reading and replying I had a brain-fart. I blame old age. The last keema naan I had was equally awful, almost poppadom thin with a misting of keema filling. This was from a place I used to eat at some fifteen years ago when they were truly wonderful at everything. The state of the industry is depressing for people with memories long enough.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2023, 10:20 AM »
Saturday evening's home delivery.  Seekh kebab sizzler and Balti chicken courtesy of Shababs.  Complementary multi-dip and mayo.

Much better than the previous two instalments I had from here.  This time managed to eat 3 whole tsp of the balti before depositing it in the freezer.  Defrosting as I type.  Will see if it can be repaired tonight.

Rob

Am I reading this right Rob?  So, you buy a home delivery balti from Shababs but you can only eat 3 teaspoons of it before freezing it. You then need to defrost it and repair it, and you add that this was much better than the previous purchases.

Yes, 3 whole tsp livo.  Just another one of my failed attempts at light-hearted sarcasm.  It was a dud balti, 0/10.  The kebabs were soggy too.  Also,  I placed my order at 7.00 pm.  It arrived shortly after 11.00 pm.  Still shaking my head in disbelief at the sachets of mayo.  A slice of fresh lemon would have been more appropriate, surely :)

Rob

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2023, 11:56 AM »
You wouldn't go back again would you?  Reading about your experience along with George's most recent and I'd have to imagine they won't be around for long.  I certainly don't feel I'm missing out on much.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2023, 09:50 PM »
One reason for making return visits was that's included in places where I can get 25% discount through a scheme/app called Gourmet Society. Every listing states you must phone to book in advance but I never do, and I doubt if other people do, either. It's almost unheard of for anywhere to object, except at Shababs. The guy on the front desk sounded like he didn't want to give me the discount. I said if he preferred, I could book for 30 mins ahead, then return. It didn't come to that but I didn't like their attitude. I certainly won't be going back again.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2023, 02:39 PM »
Was going to to add a pile of chilli powder to the balti, but thought better of it, as likely would have spent most of the following morning parked on the throne.  Not a good prospect during the hot weather we have had recently.  So I just reheated it.  I guess I can see the attraction for some.  This offering was a quite neutral and sweet balti.  I just don't particularly like the taste and it also lacked the necessary depth.  I could still spot the signature Kasuri methi and mustard oil, but more subtle this time, hugely, with the pungency of these ingredients balanced by sweetness, presumably via the base gravy.  Anyway,  I won't be ordering again.  A boring balti, soggy kebabs, sachets and a 4 hr wait, to boot.  No thanks.  To be fair, the Shababs multi-dip sauce was very good, and quirky.  I look forward to having a go at making it.

Next dish for me will be another Balti chicken royale.  Made one last night.  Oh my word!  Sublime.  I think it will go on my tasting menu. 

Rob

©2024 Curry Recipes