Author Topic: End of the boom for Birmingham’s Balti Triangle  (Read 3698 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: End of the boom for Birmingham’s Balti Triangle
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2023, 07:23 PM »
Some tasty looking dishes there Bob but I think i'd be spooning off the excess oil as there's plenty of it. May be i'll get to Manchester to try some of these once  I retire. I'm sure kebabs easily pass muster and those rotis look perfect for scooping.  Any chance of you putting up your recipe of balti chicken ginger along with some pics of the stages?

Off topic, I was trawling the site recently and happened across your post on the day you spent cooking with chef Moike and Goncalo.  Went to view the vids but not available  :sad: Any reason for taking them down??

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2023, 02:28 PM »
Once again Bob rubbing it in. “Oh they’re only a few miles from my house”….😂
Yeah, yeah, well I live in Chicago now Bob and BIR is a little further for me.
Love seeing those foil containers filled with beauty though.  So jealous.

Robbo

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2023, 05:32 PM »
Will do Phil.  Making a batch of MDB MKI base this weekend and will be straight on the Balti chicken ginger.  It's essentially Mick's basic balti recipe, with the ginger twist(s).  I'll try to do some weights and measures. 

Not guilty on the videos.  Youtube did it.  I had uploaded them so that only those you had the link could view them.  Recall ages ago Youtube informed me there was some change in privacy policy, which is why they disappeared, I guess. Looked at my account today, I can still watch the videos.  There is now a "sharable link".  Can you (anyone) open/view this?  It should be Ex-hot Vindaloo (aka Phal).  Seems I also have the option to "download to device", so should be able to unload them all again, if needed.

https://youtu.be/e6e5X0F316o

Robbo, yes, sorry.  Although I am actually quite envious of your location.  Birmingham or Chicago?  Hmm.  Sod the curry.  Do you want to swap houses? :)

Rob   

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2023, 07:31 PM »
Robbo, yes, sorry.  Although I am actually quite envious of your location.  Birmingham or Chicago?  Hmm.  Sod the curry.  Do you want to swap houses? :)

I'm either having hallucinations or I've eaten too many magic mushrooms.  Am I really correct in thinking that you (Kashmiri Bob) would prefer to live in Chicago than in Birmingham ?  This seems totally incomprehensible to me.  What appeals to you about Chicago, and what do you dislike about living in Brum ?  OK, I've never lived in Brum, but I used to stay in Smethwick every weekend for two and a half years, and my regular trips to Brum and its environs are amongst my happiest memories ...
--
** Phil.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2023, 08:49 PM »
Well I actually live in a little town called Batavia, about 45 mins outside Chicago.  But I have to tell you, Chicago is a great city, if you like cities. Couldn’t live in the hustle and bustle myself, but yes, beats Brum hands down. Apart, that is, from the BIR.

Robbo

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2023, 08:58 AM »
Saturday evening's home delivery.  Seekh kebab sizzler and Balti chicken courtesy of Shababs.  Complementary multi-dip and mayo.

Much better than the previous two instalments I had from here.  This time managed to eat 3 whole tsp of the balti before depositing it in the freezer.  Defrosting as I type.  Will see if it can be repaired tonight.

Rob   

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2023, 12:47 PM »
I visited Shababs for the third time, a  couple of months ago. I don't know why I bother returning, really. I've never thought the food was anything special but the Balti chicken somehow seemed quite tasty, before. This time, I thought it reminded me of times at home when things go wrong and I end up with a sub-standard anonymous tasting curry. Even worse was the keema naan bread I ordered. The filling in 95% of places is good but not here. They must have their own recipe for the filling and I thought it was awful.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2023, 12:54 PM »
Even worse was the keema naan bread I ordered. The filling in 95% of places is good but not here. They must have their own recipe for the filling and I thought it was awful.

The same is true of the Ghurka restaurant in St Austell.  I complained the last time I dined there, they made me a new one on the spot, with the owner preparing/cooking it, but sad to say it was not better ...
--
** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2023, 05:15 PM »
I complained the last time I dined there, they made me a new one on the spot, with the owner preparing/cooking it, but sad to say it was not better ...

So they took your curry away, faffed around for ten minutes, and brought the same curry out to you again.  :lol:

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2023, 05:19 PM »
This time, I thought it reminded me of times at home when things go wrong and I end up with a sub-standard anonymous tasting curry.

You've just described exactly what I thought after having made balti.

©2024 Curry Recipes