Author Topic: Random BIR News  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Random BIR News
« on: July 18, 2023, 03:03 PM »
I thought to stick this on to talk about BIR related things that aren't necessarily that interesting, or maybe they are, and I forgot to put them on. Please chip in.

Only got a couple at the moment.

Al (Al's Kitchen) has finally got his Youtube gong.  I think it was for having 10K subscribers.  Seen a photo of him with his silverware and he looks mighty pleased with himself.  Well done Al I say! 

Facebook curry forums.  Often have me in stiches.  Best one recently.  A member posts a photo of his meal on the table in a Bradford curry house.  The presentation of his curry was interesting.  It was in a frying pan.  But no ordinary frying pan.  It was one of those nasty cheap Teflon efforts (with the flimsy plastic handle) available at most supermarkets.  Looks like one I have from Asda.  Never seen anything so funny.  Some of the comments were good too, for example, I hope you sent it back.  Only in the UK.  Imagine taking someone here you wanted to impress.

Rob

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Random BIR News
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 04:10 PM »
He must've had a blinding honeymoon!  :lol:

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 12:46 PM »
Read in today's Daily Telegraph that a restaurant in Mayfair currently charges 350 quid for their table for two tasting menu.  However, if you go in alone, it still costs 350.  Here's me thinking 8-9 quid for a balti is extravagant.   

I seem to have a US style keyboard and can't find the pound key anywhere.

Rob

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 01:17 PM »

Rob

You might be able to fix that in your settings Rob, it might not be the keyboard itself. Unless you just bought a new one?

Offline bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 03:40 PM »
Read in today's Daily Telegraph that a restaurant in Mayfair currently charges 350 quid for their table for two tasting menu.  However, if you go in alone, it still costs 350.  Here's me thinking 8-9 quid for a balti is extravagant.   

Rob

if you change your language settings to English UK, the pound sign is the pound symbol - # (AKA gate, AKA octothorpe)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 07:33 PM »
Thanks guys.  £

Rob  :smile:

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 10:42 AM »
Here is the wonderful Bradford curry house presentation.  Can't beat this.  Looks a top drawer curry too.

Rob

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 07:13 PM »
Here is the wonderful Bradford curry house presentation.  Can't beat this.  Looks a top drawer curry too.

Rob

Ah yes, the infamous balti-chicken-Tefalon. They even give you a plate with it. Very posh!

Only beaten by good old KFC for quality and presentation

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 06:03 PM »
Was at my local Farmfoods today.  Qualiko whole frozen chicken (without giblets).  Halal, Grade A,  900-1000 g, £1.69.
I bought three. They are clearly labelled 900 or 1000 g.  Same price.

Rob

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 09:24 PM »
Qualiko whole frozen chicken (without giblets).

Seems strange to see that. When was the last time a chicken came with giblets? I recall seeing them as a kid, they'd be in a plastic bag in the cavity, but haven't seen any since, maybe, 1980. And I've seen several of the Qualiko products but have been too wary of them, they're just too cheap. Let us know what you think of your purchase.

Actually I just Googled Qualiko and it's a Ukranian brand. Who knew eh?

©2024 Curry Recipes