Author Topic: Random BIR News  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Random BIR News
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 10:40 AM »
Qualiko whole frozen chicken (without giblets).

Seems strange to see that. When was the last time a chicken came with giblets? I recall seeing them as a kid, they'd be in a plastic bag in the cavity, but haven't seen any since, maybe, 1980.

I too remember those much-missed plastic bags (they produced the best gravy known to man) but since their apparent demise I have been able to buy the giblets separately, but I no longer remember from where — almost certainly Harrod’s or Fortnum & Mason’s.  Alternatively you could buy a complete free-range bird (including giblets) online from suppliers such as Hugh Grierson.

Or you could just buy the giblets themselves online.

Incidentally, the word "giblets" is something that I so rarely type that I have not once, while typing this comment, been able to type it correctly at a first attempt — each attempt comes out something like "gliblets" ...

--
** Phil.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 11:20 AM »
Qualiko whole frozen chicken (without giblets).

Seems strange to see that. When was the last time a chicken came with giblets? I recall seeing them as a kid, they'd be in a plastic bag in the cavity, but haven't seen any since, maybe, 1980. And I've seen several of the Qualiko products but have been too wary of them, they're just too cheap. Let us know what you think of your purchase.

Actually I just Googled Qualiko and it's a Ukranian brand. Who knew eh?

Cooked one whole in the pressure cooker last night Santa.  Very nice.  Only thing I missed was my little ball of string. 

Guess they could be on special offer.  They had larger Qualiko chickens and I think they were priced more typically.  I have only been to Farmfoods a couple of times before.  Not everything is cheap but there are certainly some bargains.  A lot of it relies on bulk buys though.  I don't have the freezer space (e.g. for 3 kg of king prawns).

I did also buy 1 kg skinless/boneless white fish (Alaskan Pollock).  Would need another mortgage for fresh smoked cod/haddock loin these days.  So Pollock it is.  Actually I quite like a fish curry.  I avoid Asda's frozen white fish though.  Currently it's clearly labelled as being Vietnamese Basa, which I think is actually Catfish/River Cobbler.

I remember the giblet bags too.  Once as a child I heard my mother cursing in the kitchen.  Turned out she had cooked the chicken and forgot to take the bag out.  Don't tell your Dad she said.  Sunday roast dinner went ahead as normal.

Rob

Offline bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2023, 06:01 PM »

Incidentally, the word "giblets" is something that I so rarely type that I have not once, while typing this comment, been able to type it correctly at a first attempt — each attempt comes out something like "gliblets" ...

--
** Phil.

Gliblets, those witty little bon mots that you can never remember the next day.....!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2023, 10:40 PM »
Gliblets, those witty little bon mots that you can never remember the next day.....!

"I wish I had said that".  "You will, Oscar, you will ...".

Offline foureyes1941

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2023, 07:36 AM »
Ah giblets!  My Mother in law taught me to get the liver out of the bag and peel the inner 'skin' off, it was a kind of murky green colour before adding it with an onion and the rest of the contents of the little bag with water to eventually add to the gravy. I think this was with the turkey though not chicken.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2023, 01:12 PM »
Went back for a couple more.  Still the same price.  I now have a giblet-free household.

Plate.  White Glass, by Asda (£0.85)

Rob

©2024 Curry Recipes