Author Topic: Dhansak Masala  (Read 474 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Dhansak Masala
« on: August 02, 2023, 07:24 AM »
Farokh Talati in his Parsi cookbook provides a recipe for Dhansak Masala which includes the addition of dried lime.
I have been on a crusade to find a Dhansak recipe that included dried lime, and anyone who wants to cook a traditional Dhansak will know how difficult, if not impossible it is, to find a pre prepared Dhansak Masala. Brick Lane? No, Chelmsford spice shops? No, Asian Cookshop in Braintree? No. My apprentices spice shop at Harrow? No.
https://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/essex-cash--carry-2-w.asp

The recipe in the book makes a jam jar full of the masala which seems a lot, but a spoonful here and there in certain recipes throughout the book mean it would likely be used up relatively quickly.

Once my current dietary restrictions are lifted I will be sure to give it a go.

I’m keen to try the Dhansak, supposedly from Cyrus Todiwala, on the greedy gourmet website. She does mention a final spicing masala in the recipe, but how to, and when to use it in the final recipe, is not detailed.

https://www.greedygourmet.com/recipes-for-diets/gluten-free/dhaan-saak/

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Dhansak Masala
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 10:48 AM »
This sounds promising, T63.  I have ordered dhansak (usually lamb, once chicken) several times recently in the hopes of enjoying the real thing once again, but sadly all have turned out to be "our normal curry, but with lentils".  Very depressing.
--
** Phil.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 04:26 PM »
I like the idea that a traditional Dhansak has both the cubed lamb and the lamb koftas in the final dish.
Next Curryfest we have will undoubtedly have a lamb Dhansak as the centrepiece.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 07:53 AM »
This is the recipe from Parsi for the Dhansak Masala which includes dried lime, an ingredient I am particularly fond of when cooking Middle Eastern and North African food in Tagines. It imparts a great flavour to such dishes.

Dhansak Masala from Parsi by Farokh Talati

Makes 1 Jam Jar
100g coriander seeds
50g cumin seeds
8g dried bay leaf
20g black peppercorns
20g dried Kashmiri chillies
5g black cumin seeds
5g green cardamom pods
8g black cardamom pods
3g caraway seeds
8g cinnamon or cassia bark
8g cloves
4g ground fenugreek
1 blade of mace
1nutmeg, grated
8g poppy seeds
A pinch of saffron
2 whole star anise
25g ground turmeric
5g mustard seeds
1 whole dried lime (a Persian speciality)

Using a spice grinder or food processor, blitz all the ingredients to as fine a powder as your grinder or processor will allow (you may have to do this in batches, depending on your grinders capacity). Pass the ground spices through a sieve on to a tray and re-grind anything left in the sieve to get the finest powder you possibly can. Store your Dhansak masala in a clean, airtight jar for up to 12 months.

©2024 Curry Recipes