Author Topic: Cafe Spice Dhansak  (Read 2352 times)

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Cafe Spice Dhansak
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 09:42 AM »
The ingredient list appears quite daunting at first glance and would certainly deter lot of people immediately,
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GI-ScXs8ljI

I would make this over a couple of days, meat and lentils first, then meatballs and rice another day.

When we do a curryfest at home we tend to prepare and freeze some of the meat and chicken dishes, where suitable, and make rice and veg etc on the day.

I had no cubed mutton in the freezer so my fist attempt at this will be with goat, though I had minced mutton for the kebabs.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 04:10 AM »
Does the recipe say how many this amount serves?

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2023, 06:00 AM »
Does the recipe say how many this amount serves?

The website quotes 8 servings, I will come back to you if the book says anything else.
I did find the article on the greedy gourmet website quite an interesting read, but as some are on a quest to find the perfect BIR, I have always wanted to find the best Dhansak. I think this is because I worked with a Zoroastrian engineer back in the late 1990’s and listened to him talking about traditional Parsi food.

https://www.greedygourmet.com/recipes-for-diets/gluten-free/dhaan-saak/

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2023, 08:48 AM »
OK. Great. I was thinking of only doing half as a tester for myself and the Mrs, so that's the plan.  I've been out and purchased everything I needed today, and the weather is still looking ordinary for tomorrow, so it'll hopefully be lamb dhansak for dinner tomorrow.  They don't sell a packet Dhansak Masala, so I'll be just following the recipe as is except for the Colocasia.  The poor bugger at Singh Bros gave me the weirdest look when I asked if he sold dried limes.

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2023, 10:30 AM »
OK. Great. I was thinking of only doing half as a tester for myself and the Mrs, so that's the plan.  I've been out and purchased everything I needed today, and the weather is still looking ordinary for tomorrow, so it'll hopefully be lamb dhansak for dinner tomorrow.  They don't sell a packet Dhansak Masala, so I'll be just following the recipe as is except for the Colocasia.  The poor bugger at Singh Bros gave me the weirdest look when I asked if he sold dried limes.

You should be able to get dried limes from a Middle Eastern or North African outlet.

I will be making up the koftas/kebabs and the actual Sak, i.e., meat and lentils.

Good luck and I hope it turns out worthwhile for the effort you have to put in.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2023, 12:36 PM »
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the results of these cook-ups, considering the amount of work it involves! Best of luck, everybody  :like:

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2023, 03:26 PM »
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the results of these cook-ups, considering the amount of work it involves! Best of luck, everybody  :like:

I have the lamb on the stove as I type and the meatball mix is made up and in the fridge ready for rolling into balls and frying tomorrow.

I will also cook the lentils tomorrow and combine. The dry masala is made and ready.

I will make the rice when it is going to be eaten. This is a dry run for a Curryfest.

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2023, 12:59 PM »
The lentils and vegetables are cooked and in a pot for the freezer, the goat meat similar as well as the kebabs.
The lentils tasted lovely, the meat tasted equally lovely. The kebabs/koftas had a good flavour but were a bit on the dry side, it could be because I cooked them in the airfryer? I may make up another batch and fry them for comparison.
We’ve decided to put this in the freezer until we have friends around and then I may only use half the lentils and veg as the whole quantity will swallow up the meat.
On the whole I’m rather pleased with the result, but there are improvements that could be gained.
T63

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2023, 06:50 AM »
I'll be able to knock this out in an afternoon and it is dinner tonight. I made up the kebab mixture yesterday and allowed it to sit in the fridge for 24 hours but other than that, the ingredient list is very deceptive.  I do recommend doing the kebab mix the day before.  This will not be difficult to accomplish in about 4 -5 hours on my own. I started at 11.30 am and at 3.20 pm I have everything ready to finish off and assemble. I've been doing laundry and making home brew (* Note below) at the same time, a few of which have helped along the way.   :wink:  I only need to cook the kebabs and pilau to be done, reheat and assemble, which I'll do when the devoted female returns to the nest. The Golden Brown Basmati is soaking, the chicks have flown and it's easy sailing from here.  :smile:  Yeah, right!

The big plus, as I'd quietly hoped, is that the kebab recipe on its own is a winner.  I've already deep fried a tester of 6 and they're gone.  There was something missing but all they needed was a sprinkle of ground Pink Himalayan Rock Salt.  This will be my go-to for lamb (meat) kebabs from now on with one adjustment. Less bread and a little less water to compensate.  They are a bit bready with white bread.

Note: Home brewed Brown Ale and Munich Lager.  I already knew the Brown Ale is good, but this was my first tester of the Munich Lager I first started about 2 months ago.  I'm rather pleased with it, and it will only get better when I refrigerate and "lager it".

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2023, 09:53 AM »
but all they needed was a sprinkle of ground Pink Himalayan Rock Salt

I am, and will remain, eternally grateful that I discovered kala namak when I did, and only wish that I had discovered it 50 years earlier.  Yes, it makes a great addition to many a curry, but what it does to egg mayonnaise is out of this world ...
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes