Author Topic: Can one tire of curries ?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Can one tire of curries ?
« on: August 08, 2023, 08:42 PM »
It is now some time since I last cooked a curry (sufficiently long, in fact, that I no longer remember when I last did so), but it is not that which inspires my question.  Rather, it is something that I experienced over the last two or three days.  On Sunday I played a bowls match in Newquay (Cornwall) and, as I always do when I am in Newquay, I later dined at Zaman's restaurant.  It is, as far as I am concerned, the best BIR in Cornwall, both food and service being beyond compare.  But after eating my starter (two extremely nice seekh kebabs, served with grilled onions which I wrapped in a chapati to eat), I felt too full to want to start on my main course, so asked the restaurant to pack it up for me to eat later.  I didn't eat it when I arrived home, I didn't eat it yesterday, but I ate it this evening.  It comprised a beautifully fragrant pulao rice, a well-textured sag aloo, and a lamb dhansak that clearly contained at least two different sorts of pulse/lentil.  But I didn't enjoy it (I ate barely one third).  Even after adding lime pickle (my standard accompaniment to a lamb dhansak) it just did nothing for me.  I am therefore beginning to think that I have tired of curries, and now need to find some other staple food on which to exist.  I realise that a BIR forum is perhaps not the best place to ask such a question, but I do wonder whether any current members of CR0 have ever had a similar experience.
--
** Phil.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Can one tire of curries ?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 11:31 PM »
I will never tire of curry.  Like particle physics or quantum computing, I simply cannot even understand the concept. I had 3 last week and am looking forward greatly to the missis going to dinner tomorrow with daughters so I can have another bash with the recently rediscovered base.
It’s possibly easier to become less enchanted when all you need do is pop out to a takeaway but when you’re thousands of miles from BIR, absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

Robbo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 12:43 AM »
I'm the same Robbo.  I don't eat it all that regularly and sometimes go weeks between, although recently we've been eating a fair few curry meals.  I enjoy Japanese, Chinese, Thai and Sri Lankan curries as much as I do "Indian", so for me I just mix it up.  I also still love plain old 1960's Aussie housewife Curried Sausages with boiled white rice and a few steamed vegetables, as it is simply great comfort food and so easy to make.  Just recently, as well as the Indian dishes I made for Mrs L, I made a delicious Thai yellow coconut seafood curry.  We always eat other meals that are now very much economically influenced by what I can purchase in the "Reduced to Clear" range.  If you ate curry every night, it would get a bit tiresome I suppose.

Phil, I'd suggest you cook your own once more, and choose the dish that you usually felt was your best and favourite.  If you are still of the same opinion following that, then you may well have lost your attachment.  Peoples tastes change and I don't eat the exact same type of food as I once did, but there are some things that you just go back to and for me, curry is one of them.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 10:16 AM »
I love Indian food and possibly love cooking it more than eating it. I really enjoy cooking for people, be it just the wife or 10 guests for a curryfest.
My ex wife still tells people that I ate a curry every night for a year. Batch cook at the weekend and serve up over the week.
But there are times when I will veer off of Indian and hanker for Italian, Middle Eastern, Eastern European, Mexican and quite often traditional British or Irish.
Sometimes I can avoid Indian for several months, but then something will pique my curiosity and bang, I will be up to my elbows in turmeric and coriander.
T63

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 10:19 AM »
I also still love plain old 1960's Aussie housewife Curried Sausages with boiled white rice and a few steamed vegetables

Now that interests me.
Can you direct me to a preferred recipe.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 11:21 AM »
I also still love plain old 1960's Aussie housewife Curried Sausages with boiled white rice and a few steamed vegetables

Now that interests me.
Can you direct me to a preferred recipe.

I'll put the recipe up for you tomorrow.  It's been a busy day for me.  It is essentially from the Common-Sense Cookbook, which was like a 1960's Home Economics textbook for school-girls and new wives.  Very basic stuff.  How to feed your new husband or enter a local show with a bog-standard sponge cake.  The curry sauce, surprisingly to me, is apparently like a UK Chippy Curry Sauce.  You can do it with lamb, but it works out great with just the average sausages.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 07:48 PM »
Even after adding lime pickle (my standard accompaniment to a lamb dhansak) it just did nothing for me. 

Vastly improved this evening by the addition of a reasonable quantity of thinly sliced red onion sprinkled with fresh coriander, some (raw)  kasoori methi, and two thinly sliced green finger chillies.  A little kala namak but not suffient for the egg aroma to be evident.  Plus the same lime pickle as yesterday.  All the lamb is now gone (and enjoyed, at least this evening), some pulao rice and sag aloo remains for another day ...

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 12:06 PM »
It is now some time since I last cooked a curry (sufficiently long, in fact, that I no longer remember when I last did so), but it is not that which inspires my question.  Rather, it is something that I experienced over the last two or three days.  On Sunday I played a bowls match in Newquay (Cornwall) and, as I always do when I am in Newquay, I later dined at Zaman's restaurant.  It is, as far as I am concerned, the best BIR in Cornwall, both food and service being beyond compare.  But after eating my starter (two extremely nice seekh kebabs, served with grilled onions which I wrapped in a chapati to eat), I felt too full to want to start on my main course, so asked the restaurant to pack it up for me to eat later.  I didn't eat it when I arrived home, I didn't eat it yesterday, but I ate it this evening.  It comprised a beautifully fragrant pulao rice, a well-textured sag aloo, and a lamb dhansak that clearly contained at least two different sorts of pulse/lentil.  But I didn't enjoy it (I ate barely one third).  Even after adding lime pickle (my standard accompaniment to a lamb dhansak) it just did nothing for me.  I am therefore beginning to think that I have tired of curries, and now need to find some other staple food on which to exist.  I realise that a BIR forum is perhaps not the best place to ask such a question, but I do wonder whether any current members of CR0 have ever had a similar experience.
--
** Phil.

Phil - I'm sorry your tastes may be changing. Or perhaps it was bad luck, especially as the dhansak was stored for quite a long time. I agree Zamans produce very good food. I have enjoyed a very similar selection of dishes, as you ordered, after you introduced me to the restaurant, Once further visit, sitting down, and a third visit for a takeaway, Everything tasted great.

©2024 Curry Recipes