Author Topic: My spice dabba  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
My spice dabba
« on: August 16, 2023, 09:06 PM »
On vacation this week so took the chance to make a fresh batch of garam masala and the mix powder used in the recently revived Bruce Edwards base and vindaloo.
Vindaloo night again tonight.
Also a quick trip to the local Indian grocer, Patel Brothers in Naperville and picked up fresh curry leaves, kasuri methi and moong dal - oh and for the drive home, Punjabi samosa and paneer chilli puff from the hot food section. I love wandering the aisles, they have so many specific masala packets, I want to try everything.

A question:
Does anyone use asafoetida? I read some reviews that say it’s so pungent you have to keep it in 2 containers and the smell can permeate your pantry.  All the recipe books say it adds real depth of flavor to dishes like dal but I’m a bit wary.

Robbo

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My spice dabba
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 02:17 PM »
Does anyone use asafoetida? I read some reviews that say it’s so pungent you have to keep it in 2 containers and the smell can permeate your pantry.

The pre-ground stuff is junk. Mostly filler and a waste of time, it gives asafoetida a bad name. The pure resin on the other hand is fabulous - it's not called devil's dung for nothing!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 02:41 PM »
The pre-ground stuff is junk. Mostly filler and a waste of time, it gives asafoetida a bad name. The pure resin on the other hand is fabulous - it's not called devil's dung for nothing!

Agreed on all counts.  But if you're cooking vegetables Indian-style, then adding hing will lift them to a whole new level.
--
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 09:51 PM »
I've never been able to find the pure resin stuff.  I believe the yellow container gear is more for the intestinal digestive benefit rather than flavour, because it provides nothing in my experience.

Nice spice box Robbo. Mine is the basic one with just 7 little bowls and 2 spoons.  I always worry about its ability to keep the spices fresh as they're quite exposed to air inside the outer container.  I keep pink salt in the middle and then coriander, cumin, garam masala, kashmiri chilli, sweet paprika and turmeric around the ring.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 10:49 PM »
I've never been able to find the pure resin stuff.

Always available on eBay or Amazon if not locally. At least here in the UK.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 11:34 PM »
Almost everything I can find is either powdered (with additives) or compounded block (with additives).  There is only one listing on eBay for resin chunks that is from outside Australia, would take 1 month to deliver and cost AU $14 for 25g which is $560 / kg.  I can't justify that cost no matter how good it is.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2023, 07:25 AM »
cost AU $14 for 25g which is $560 / kg.  I can't justify that cost no matter how good it is.

Hmmm ... that is a mite on the high side. On the other hand saffron here is about £2850/Kg or $5661/Kg for you, so ten times yor asafoetida price. Is saffron that much cheap over there and do you buy that?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2023, 08:02 AM »
I do very rarely buy saffron and I have a small packet in my spice cupboard. Once again, I find it to be an extreme luxury I can well live without, although I do love Saffron Rice.  I am usually quite content to substitute Safflower for the real thing.  You get the colour, but you need to imagine the flavour. :lol:

I don't usually eat enough dahl, or other vegetarian dishes, to cause the digestive disturbance meant to be prevented by using hing.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2023, 08:41 AM »
You get the colour, but you need to imagine the flavour. :lol:

My thought when comparing today's curries with old-time curries!  :cry:

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 09:01 AM »
I could order this post-free and post to you at cost, Livo : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175134753080
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes