Author Topic: Curry in the bush.  (Read 1473 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Curry in the bush.
« on: September 20, 2023, 11:59 PM »
Well, it's been an interesting few weeks. 2 months ago my wife booked us tickets to The Mitchell Creek Rock and Blues Festival where we would camp for 3 nights and 4 days with her family (mother, brothers, sisters in law and a nephew). We would share the meal preparation and I volunteered curries.  This meant a couple of vegan dishes along with basic chicken and lamb.  So, I prepared and froze these in foil takeaway containers. Chicken and lamb curry, Bhindi Masala and Vegetable Navratan using vegan vegetable cream. I also cooked a large dahl and a Rajma. We cooked yellow spiced rice up there and I also took along some mild vegan samosa.  The curries were slow defrosted in an esky (no ice) over the 2 day trip. Yep! 2 days and 1050 km to get there.

Chicken, lamb and navratan all made with Bruce Edwards base and all curries survived the journey and were delicious.

We are currently on a short coastal break for a few days on the way back home from Queensland. Staying at South West Rocks NSW, which is where the historic Trial Bay Gaol was built out of local granite back in the 19th century.  Lovely place and yesterday we enjoyed some whale watching as the mother humpbacks are working their way south with us on their own way back to the Antarctic waters with their new babies.

What made the few weeks interesting is that I had some pre-trip jobs which needed to be done at home and required a fair bit or energy and lifting.  I had to rebuild fences to keep Mrs L's horses in while we were away.  However, 16 days out I became unwell. After 1 week I noticed I had no senses of taste or smell, so a quick RAT confirmed that I had caught Covid for the first time.  Each day was a battle to build fences and then lie down.  Only 3 days out, I told Donna that I didn't think I'd make it but 36 hours before departure I suddenly felt well enough to do the trip.

I'm glad I made it as it's been a great week away and I haven't really left home much for many years.  Although, I didn't enjoy tent camping as much as I used to in my surfing days.

I'm looking forward to getting home and back to a proper kitchen.  I really do have to revisit the Bhindi Masala as it was outrageously good and the clear favourite of everybody.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Curry in the bush.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 05:49 PM »
Sorry to learn that you have had Covid-19, Livo.  I think I've had it twice now (as well as seven vaccinations !) and although it lays me low for the first 24 hours, after that it becomes only a relatively minor inconvenience.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 10:03 PM »
It knocked me about quite badly. Pounding headaches, pain in the chest and breathlessness, lower back pain and general lethargy along with an unstoppable dry cough.  Its now 24 days since my first symptom and the cough has not cleared completely. I am otherwise fine now but it was 14 days of feeling very poorly.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 10:44 PM »
Oh yes, the cough does persist — I had forgotten that !  Anyhow, sorry to hear that it affects you badly — I feel quite lucky in that respect, but have nonetheless booked my eighth vaccination for next week.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 09:25 PM »
I've never knowingly had Covid and I'm one of those awkward cusses who refuses to wear a mask. I put it down to BIR curries and plenty of vitamin D. And of course I'm tempting fate now.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 09:34 PM »
I'm one of those awkward cusses [...]

Interesting.  I have never consciously thought about the word "cuss" (as in "awkward cuss") before, but you have now motivated me to do so.  I assume that it is the same "cuss" as in "cuss words" (= "curse words") but how, I wonder, did it gain the sense in which you use it here ?

Or maybe not.  The OED suggests (implicitly, not explicitly, unfortunately) that it may be a forshortening of “customer”, as in “he’s an awkward customer” —

1775–
Originally U.S. Originally: a contemptible or worthless person, a good-for-nothing. Later more generally, usually with modifying word: a person of a specified (esp. stubborn or difficult) character or type (used either depreciatively or affectionately). Also in extended use with reference to an animal or object. Cf. customer n. 6, cussed adj.

where customer n. 6 reads

1590–
colloquial. A person of a specified (esp. troublesome or difficult) character or type; (sometimes) spec. a person with whom one is dealing. Frequently with modifying adjective indicating personality or character, as awkward, ugly, etc. Also in extended use with reference to an animal, typically a fox, or an object.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 11:48 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 12:44 AM »
I've never knowingly had Covid and I'm one of those awkward cusses who refuses to wear a mask. I put it down to BIR curries and plenty of vitamin D. And of course I'm tempting fate now.

Until 3 weeks ago I was in the same boat Santa.  I had been directly and closely exposed to family members having contracted it and being at home, quite unwell, while isolating from the community on no fewer than 6 occasions that I'm aware of.  My son had it twice that we know of.  I had managed to avoid symptoms and positive testing until this one, and I have no idea where I came to become infected.  There were warnings that it was in yet another wave so it could have been anywhere.  We all had the first and second vaccine shots as over here it was essentially compulsory if you ever wanted to go anywhere outside your home, and it was requirement for my wife to be allowed to continue working.  We all had the first booster which was strongly pushed upon everyone but have had no further boosters and we won't be.  Mrs Livo had also managed to avoid it until only a few months ago when we believe she ended up being exposed to a student who was knowingly sent to school by his mother while positive.

Looking back on the last 4 years since it was first detected is a very surreal thing.  The way society and governments behaved is quite astonishing in retrospect.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 10:26 PM »
colloquial. A person of a specified (esp. troublesome or difficult) character or type; (sometimes) spec. a person with whom one is dealing. Frequently with modifying adjective indicating personality or character, as awkward, ugly, etc. Also in extended use with reference to an animal, typically a fox, or an object.

This is the context in which I use it. Basically someone who is contrary and awkward in their behaviour.

And certainly I also assumed it meant cuss as in a curse-word or expletive. I'd never entertained the idea that it could mean customer but it has a logic to it.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2023, 10:31 PM »
livo, maybe this new strain that's in the wild is more virulent to those who have so far been lucky enough to avoid Covid. If so I'd better wind my neck in and stay at home. I've had three shots but they're waning in efficacy by now so I must be a prime candidate if for no other reason than statistical chance.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2023, 05:39 PM »
Glad you’re on the mend Livo. Good to hear Bruce Edwards makes for a successful travel companion.

Robbo

©2024 Curry Recipes