Author Topic: BBC Mæstro courses  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
BBC Mæstro courses
« on: September 30, 2023, 12:44 PM »
The BBC are currently offering a promotion on their Mæstro courses, and I have taken out a one-year subscription for just £72 including VAT.  And I have just started watching Vineet Bhatia’s Modern Indian Cooking.  Report to follow, but an amuse bouche to start —
De-mystifying Spices
1. Garam Masala Spice Blend
Building Blocks
2. Ginger Paste & Garlic Paste
3. Red Chilli Paste & Cashew Nut Paste
Chutney Dips & Raitas
4. Herb Chutney
5. Tomato Chutney
6. Raita
7. Beetroot Pachadi
Vegetarian
8. Spiced Potatoes
9. Malai Broccoli
10. Keralan Veg Stir Fry
11. Punjabi Chickpea Stew
12. Tadka Dal
Indian Grills
13. Banana Leaf Cod
14. Chicken Tikka
15. Mustard Chicken
16. Ginger Lamb Chops
Indian Stews
17. Coastal Prawn Stew
18. Butter Chicken
19. Lamb Morel Korma
Street Food
20. Onion Bhaji
21. Potato & Green Pea Tikki
22. Bombay Omelette
23. Fish Pakora
24. Lamb Kheema
Pulao & Biriyani
25. Cauliflower Pulao
26. Chicken Biriyani
Bread
27. Pao
28. Naan
Dessert
29. Lassi
30. Kulfi
--
** Phil.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BBC Mæstro courses
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 03:52 PM »
A lot to ploughing through Phil. I live a challenge though. Looking forward to updates on your progress.

Robbo

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 08:22 PM »
After watching only lesson one (spices, garam masala), I am most impressed.  Vineet Bhatia certainly deserves the title mæstro — he communicates with intelligence, knowledge and passion.  Poor camera work (we don't need to keep alternating between three views, only one of which is direct to camera) but the content is superb.  This single series will more than justify my expenditure of £72, and there are a further 23 already offered with more to come.  Courses currently offered include Marco Pierre White on "delicious food cooked simply", Richard Bertinet on "bread making", Jancis Robinson on "an understanding of wine", Pierre Koffman on "classic French bistro cooking", and Marco Pierre White (again) on "delicious vegetarian cooking".  I don't think any of you will be disappointed.

And now I have watched aloo tikki (green pea and potato cutlet).  Not only just as good as lesson one (spices, garam masala) but even better, with final emphasis on the importance of presentation and the equal importance of balancing colours, flavours and textures.  I really cannot recommend this series too highly.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 09:31 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 03:50 AM »
Let me know when you've tested # 19 Phil.  The images of this dish on his various pages look pretty good.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 08:54 AM »
I see £79 for 1 year access to Veneet's Indian course or £120 for access to a range of courses like you are describing for £79. For me, £79 sounds expensive but I guess the BBC needs all the income it can generate to pay some presenters outrageous salaries.  And £120 is extortionate, given so many free videos on youtube, and plenty of cookery books, some by the same celebrity chefs.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 11:10 AM »
I see £79 for 1 year access to Veneet's Indian course or £120 for access to a range of courses like you are describing for £79. For me, £79 sounds expensive but I guess the BBC needs all the income it can generate to pay some presenters outrageous salaries.  And £120 is extortionate, given so many free videos on youtube, and plenty of cookery books, some by the same celebrity chefs.

You missed the 40%-off deadline, George.  But follow this link — it may still be available :

--
** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 12:14 PM »
Phil - you're a star. Thank you so much for the link. It worked, and I signed up for the same deal which you got. To start, I just watched an 11 min video by Marco Pierre White on how to cook Ragu. There were some approaches I had not come across before. If it results in me improving the flavour of Ragu, then it will all have been worthwhile.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 12:38 PM »
I just watched an 11 min video by Marco Pierre White on how to cook Ragu.

To quote Burns :

“But is there, owre his French ragout,
Or olio wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi’ perfect scunner,
Looks doon wi’ sneering, scornfu’ view
On sic a dinner ?”

I don't think the Bard shared your enthusiasm for ragu/ragout, George !  But I'm delighted that you found the link useful nonetheless.

Livo, Lamb morel korma ?  I don't remember the last time I saw morels offered for sale, so this one isn't high on my list of priorities.  But having had the unimaginable pleasure of eating aloo tikki made by the proprietress of my local village shop back in Marden, Kent, Vineet’s version is pretty much near the top !
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 02:06 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 02:40 AM »
To be honest Phil, I don't really care about the morel, mushroom, truffle of whatever else is used. I was more interested in the basis of the Korma dish as it appears to be quite orange in colour and the classification of being Street Food has me intrigued.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CXyMpypur-I/
https://www.facebook.com/TheVineetBhatia/posts/lamb-morel-truffle-korma-an-umami-bomb-of-flavours-new-menu-additions-start-toda/392936142199897/

Interestingly this dish (almost identically named) is from Saffron Modern Indian Dining in Milwaukee Wisconsin USA

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 08:31 PM »
The BBC are currently offering a promotion on their Mæstro courses, and I have taken out a one-year subscription for just £72 including VAT. 

The £72 for one year offer has just been repeated, so sign up now if you are interested.  Having watched all of Vineet Bhatia, Pierre Koffman, Richard Bertinet, and now starting on Marco Pierre White, I can wholeheartedly recommend the series.
--
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes