Author Topic: Potentially good find on YouTube..?  (Read 563 times)

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Potentially good find on YouTube..?
« on: November 19, 2023, 04:44 PM »
This morning chef Imran appeared in my YouTube feed. The universe is listening.
I just sat and transcribed his chicken madras recipe…which looks delicious.

https://youtu.be/HK5RUk-dQDQ?si=3-BvXd5uKtxO22zH

And also the vindaloo sauce he uses to make it.

https://youtu.be/_QlG_-FIrrM?si=jliEuMyaOjdjeAGj

I’ve never seen coconut milk in a vindaloo or madras curry but worth a punt. In the sauce recipe he describes soaking Kashmiri chillies overnight but they don’t look like the dried Kashmiris I have. Mine are much larger, on the left whereas his look like the regular smaller dried chillies I sometime use, on the right.
[/URL

What do you guys think about the chillies he uses?
His channel looks to have a good selection of dishes.

Robbo

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Potentially good find on YouTube..?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 08:27 AM »
Nice.  Check out the "Ceylon" threads for a BIR madras with coconut Robbo.  Used to be a very popular dish hereabouts and pretty much the hottest curry on the menu. Made it myself a couple of times.  Recall I used Chewy's madras recipe, with a blend of coconut flour and cream, but I think there are detailed recipes from others on the forum.

Interesting to see the curry leaves added.  Not sure if they still sell it, but Morrisons supermarket used to do a ready-made chicken madras with curry leaves and coconut, which I thought was rather good.

Will be checking out your man's channel.  Does look promising.

Rob

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 10:31 AM »
I’ve never seen coconut milk in a vindaloo or madras curry

Sunny Spice (a southern-Indian restaurant with branches in Fowey & Lostwithiel, Cornwall) use coconut milk in their Madras — it is one of my favourite non-Southern dishes when I eat there.
--
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 10:30 PM »
I've watched a few of his videos a while back but don't recall cooking his dishes. 

As for Kashmiri Chillis, there will be no absolute certainty that what you buy, labelled as such, will be anything other than a chilli, although the shape is definitely more like the ones on the left.  It is most likely that anything we see labelled Kashmiri will actually be from Byadgi market.  The ones on the right of the photograph look like chillis I've grown called Indian lal mirch which simply translates to red chilli. 

Have a look at the handfull grabs this guy picks up.  We don't see these where I live.  I wish I knew what they are saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERWdXc6aCdw

The necessity of soaking dried chillis is questionable.  There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't substitute fresh, or use powdered or even a blended product like MDH Deggi Mirch to achieve the flavour and colour desired.

Let us know how you find the dish once you've cooked it.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 12:51 AM »
Interesting…I’ll talk to people at our local Indian market, see what I can find. If chillies are labeled Kashmiri in there, it’s as close as I’m going to get. I really thought I’d get some curry in this week but Thanksgiving going to interfere with that except for leftover turkey curry probably Friday.  Maybe I’ll get to something the weekend.

Robbo

©2024 Curry Recipes