Author Topic: Let's have a restaurant review section!  (Read 11968 times)

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Let's have a restaurant review section!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2005, 02:39 PM »
Thank you so much for that George.  I checked out all the links and will write down the names in case I run across those in Leicester.  it is a starting point for me at least.  It seems maybe in the more heavily indian populated areas, there is more authentic food because that is what we like to go out to eat.  Eating BIR food is not authentic tasting for indians.  Not to worry, the curry houses will probably remain at each street corner!!  I am not sure local people used to eating curries will even like authentic indian food as there are no curries  ;D

Payal

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2005, 03:03 PM »
Payal

Here are some more suggestions taken from the 1995 'Taj Good Curry Restaurant Guide' by Pat Chapman

Now before you all laugh:
- these places were voted into the 'Top 100' UK curry houses by club members, not by PC himself, and
- although the guide is 10 years old, I bet most of the establishments still exist. I know my local curry houses haven't changed much in the last 10 years.

The 'Top 100 UK' places listed for Leicester are:
- Curry Fever, 139 Belgrave Road, and
- Friends Tandoori, 41-45 Belgrave Road

Others which look promising include:
Akash, 159 London Road
Curry House, 63 London Road

So it lools like Belgrave Road and/or London Road might be a good starting point.

Regards
George

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2005, 03:28 PM »
Thanks George, I am making a list of these places.  I hate to randomly try places because most of the time the food is nothing great.  I have tried 5 restaurants in the Derby area and have only found 1 to have decent food.  I wouldnt dream of going to the other 4 ever again!!

Payal

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2005, 03:58 PM »
I have tried 5 restaurants in the Derby area and have only found 1 to have decent food.  I wouldnt dream of going to the other 4 ever again!!

Payal

I fear you may come to the conclusion that BIR style food is not all that many people crack it up to be. Last night I went to what I've long-considered the best local curry house around here. I'm sure the food was as good as normal but, somehow, I couldn't help wondering why I have such a fascination with this BIR stuff. Authentic Indian cuisine is so much better - perhaps all my time would be better spent learning more about authentic cooking, rather than pursuing this almost fruitless search (so far) for the BIR taste.

Regards
George

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2005, 04:48 PM »
That is exactly what I have decided!! The 1 dish I liked from the one place is a dish i can duplicate mostly - the shahi or makhani gravy.  The 1 authentic indian restaurant I went to in Hainsworth (sp.?) had real exotic vegs on the buffet - I had never seen them on a buffet before.  I dont think people are too fond of bittermelon and tinda (2 vegetables that indians love!!). No signs of curry on the buffet at all.  I am on this site in the hopes of helping out with the taste...if it is just technique, who knows, it may be something i do naturally that I learned while growing up - something i dont realize I am doing!!!  I found this mystery to be very fascinating and hope I can help.  But i have started making some of the bases that seem more authentic but i make enough for 1 dish so I dont have to keep it.  Fresh is always better for me!!!  I do believe sometimes the flavors develop over time but I am just not a fan of freezing food. But I do hope this mystery gets solved someday soon!!  I still do want to try a real good "curry" just to see what all the fuss in the UK is about!!!!

Payal

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2005, 10:26 PM »
Payal

Here are some more suggestions taken from the 1995 'Taj Good Curry Restaurant Guide' by Pat Chapman

Now before you all laugh:
- these places were voted into the 'Top 100' UK curry houses by club members, not by PC himself, and
- although the guide is 10 years old, I bet most of the establishments still exist. I know my local curry houses haven't changed much in the last 10 years.

The 'Top 100 UK' places listed for Leicester are:
- Curry Fever, 139 Belgrave Road, and
- Friends Tandoori, 41-45 Belgrave Road

Others which look promising include:
Akash, 159 London Road
Curry House, 63 London Road

So it lools like Belgrave Road and/or London Road might be a good starting point.

Regards
George
Be Aware that these places were voted 10 years ago, and the chef at the time may have moved on, they could be very poor now.
For example: i've been to Akash, 159 London Road and its a very poor curry, info at the beginning of this thread

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2005, 12:38 AM »

http://www.myleicester.net/leicester/restaurants-reviews-dylans.htm
"the chicken just melts in your mouth"
"This restaurant is quite different fron the old flock wallpapered anglo/bangladeshi type of yesterday. It is a modern restaurant with tasteful and stylish decor. The food is truly indian cuisine with indian not bangladeshi chefs. "

This is another one to avoid at all costs.? True, it started out only a couple of years ago producing some of the best food I've ever, ever had, and was definitely not the standard BIR fare, although it gave a passing nod to the style here and there.? But alas, that ship has sailed.? I wonder which restaurant that chef moved on to, because I wouldn't feed my dog on the last few meals I had there. They've been advertising for staff for months, minimum wage too.

Payal I think you should be heading to the Belgrave Rd area of town for a more authentic meal, it's an almost exclusively asian area.? A lot of places on London Rd seem to cater for drunk students as it's near the university, but I haven't been to all of them.? Belgrave seems a better option.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2005, 09:53 AM »
Authentic Indian cuisine is so much better
Have to disagree with you on this one  ;D

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2005, 10:07 AM »
Authentic Indian cuisine is so much better
I agree with Mark
I find traditional indian recipes lack the intensity of flavour.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2005, 11:03 AM »
I love BIR curries in the same sort of way I like Big Macs and KFC. It's pretty low quality and unhealthy but I enjoy this food from time to time. My love affair with BIR curries started many years before I had the privilege to taste Indian food at a couple of 5 star hotels in Delhi, and subsequently at other 5 star hotels in the Middle East; and at places like the Red Fort and Bombay Brasserie in London. Wow! The quality and delicacy of flavour is in a different league to the BIR style. I think we'll have to agree to differ on this one. Also, I don't like hot curries. I'm more intererested in fine flavours than the number of chillies which have been added.

Regards
George

©2024 Curry Recipes