Author Topic: North Indian mutton/lamb/goat korma  (Read 301 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
North Indian mutton/lamb/goat korma
« on: February 28, 2024, 07:26 PM »
I have cooked this now on several occasions for a number of people, and it goes down very well each time. Not overly hot but a fine balance. I use goat and marinade for at least a couple of days and cook until nice and soft. I use cast iron pans when cooking curries so I can take this off the heat with the lid on and it will keep warm for a long time.

North Indian Mutton or Lamb Korma Recipe from Times of India.

This lamb korma is made in the North Indian style using ingredients like onions, yogurt, ghee and spices that yield a rich and delicious dish. Golden onions also known as fried onions or brown onions along with yogurt form the base of this mutton korma.

For Marination
500 grams mutton or lamb (or goat in my house)
1 cup yoghurt
1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste fresh
½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
1 teaspoon red chilli powder (use as needed)
1 tablespoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1 green chilli slit

Whole Spices (or use 1½ tsp garam masala)
4 to 6 cloves
2 inch cinnamon piece
6 green cardamoms
2 small black cardamoms
½ teaspoon lightly crushed black pepper

Other ingredients
3 medium onions thinly sliced or use 1 cup supermarket pre-fried onions
3 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter or oil)
2 cups hot water Use more if needed

Optional (for authentic flavours)
1 strand mace
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg (jaiphal powder, refer notes)
1 teaspoon kewra water (or ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder)

Instructions

Marination for mutton korma

Wash the mutton well and drain the water. Put it in a a bowl for marination. Next add all the spices – coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric and the whole spices – cinnamon, cardamoms, black cardamoms, pepper and cloves (or 1½Garam Masala)

Add ginger garlic paste, green chilli, salt and yogurt.
Mix all of these and cover it.

Marinade for at least 2 hours or, preferably, overnight in the fridge.
The marinade works as a tenderiser. So the longer the lamb meat is allowed to rest the more tender it turns.

How to make lamb korma

Heat ghee or oil in a wide heavy bottom pan or pot.
Separate the layers of onions and slide them to the hot oil or ghee.
Fry them until deep golden stirring often. The onions must be uniformly browned without burning. This may take about 8 to 10 mins.

Cool these completely and pulse them coarsely in a blender. Do not over blend as they begin to release a lot of oil. If your grinder is unable to grind, you may add 2 tbsps of water or yogurt to help grind. Set this aside.

To the same pan, add the lamb marinade and mix it. Begin to sauté on a medium heat for about 10 mins.

Yogurt and lamb lets out lot of moisture. Cover and let the mutton cook in this for 30 mins. After 30 minutes of cooking the mutton, add the crushed fried brown onions.

Pour 2 cups hot water and mix well. Cook covered until mutton turns slightly tender stirring occasionally. This may take about 1 hour or more.

Add mace and nutmeg at this stage (optional). Continue to cook until the mutton falls off the bone easily. Optional – Add kewra water at this stage. Mix and turn off.

Allow lamb korma to rest at least for a hour to absorb the flavours. Serve with naan, roti, paratha, rice, biryani or pulao.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: North Indian mutton/lamb/goat korma
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 07:36 PM »
This recipe appears to have the potential of a nice dish T63, and based upon your recommendations, it has just made my next curry position.  I've made loads of various korma dishes and this one appears to tick the box.  I have quite a bit of lamb rump in the freezer so, I now know where some is going.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 06:19 PM »
Really slow cooked chunks of meat in a tasty sauce  :like:what's not to like! And I can't imagine that marinade suffering from the addition of a couple or three extra green chiles...

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 11:27 AM »
Really slow cooked chunks of meat in a tasty sauce  :like:what's not to like! And I can't imagine that marinade suffering from the addition of a couple or three extra green chiles...
It is a mildly spiced curry and for those who prefer to spice things up could add to the spices, including the addition of a few chillies.

©2024 Curry Recipes