Author Topic: The Kebab Group Test Results  (Read 18504 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
The Kebab Group Test Results
« on: July 04, 2010, 04:33 PM »
It's the moment I think you have all been waiting for. The results of the June 2010 Kebab group test.

For those not familiar with this, we chose 5 kebab recipes from the site then 5 members cooked all 5 and gave them marks out of 10 in 4 different areas. Taste, texture, cheapness and ease to make. In all cases the higher the score the better.

As requested, here are the links:

CA's             http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1525.0
Razor's         http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4393.0
Dipuraja's      http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4452.0
Curry Dev's   http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3415.0
Axe's            http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4468.0

Razor will be very pleased to note that his came out top in 3 of the 4 categories, just being beaten by Dipuraja in the ease to make category. This isn't surprising as most of his recipe come from jars of paste. All of the judges were surprised by the results. I had only cooked these a couple of times before and I was amazed in the difference between a bad recipe (Sorry Curry Dev but it was pretty gross) and the good ones like Axe, CA and Razors.

Most of the judges commented on the use of ground cardamon seeds and ground cloves as being a bad idea as the taste was too overwhelming.

I hope everyone sees this information for what it is - an attempt to provide some honest, unbiased thoughts on a number of different recipes. I'd also like to thank the other judges - Axe, Razor, PeterandJen and Fi5H for putting their time and effort into reviewing these recipes for the good of the forum. I hope they all enjoyed it enough to help with the July group test of Chicken Tikka!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 08:18 AM by chriswg »

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Kebab Group Test Results
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Great to see that this up and running and it makes interesting reading - I wonder would it be possible in this post to paste the links to the recipes?

Also forgive my ignorance but how were the 5 judges selected - was it self selecting or some other method?

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 06:39 PM »
I agree good to see this up and running & a good read ;D

great job guys 8),

Chicken Tikka is my favourite so I am looking forward to the next results ;)

cheers

Will

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:11 PM »

This is a great idea and gives a bench mark for anyone who is struggling to decide where to try their efforts first :)
Thanks to all who originally supplied the recipes and also to the 5 testers for all their efforts. it's much appreciated  :D

Rob.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 08:35 PM »
Wow,

Gobsmacked :o

I've got to say, I didn't actually judge this myself.  My mate (fat Paul) came round and did the taste test for me.  I just couldn't do it with having one of my own in there ::)

All in all, a really enjoyable test and some good recipes in there.  I think the differences were quite subtle and there wasn't what I would describe as a bad one in there (fat Paul ate 10 kebabs). :-\

The one thing that I would say in Curry Devs defence if I may, is, when I did this recipe, they bared little resemblance to the ones that he posted in his thread, and I think I'm correct in saying, the ones that Fi5h did, didn't either!

This got me wondering if I had done the recipe correctly.  I checked, and everything was done to the letter so, I'm wondering if Dev missed something out of his ingredients list?

Anyway, good first test I think (I would say that now lol) bring on the chicken tikka ;D

Ray :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 08:48 PM »
nice one Ray - loved the comments about your mate, he sounds like a legend.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Hi Stephen,

Also forgive my ignorance but how were the 5 judges selected - was it self selecting or some other method?

Well, Chris (chriswg) originally came up with the concept and put the idea to the forum,  and after much debate, and seeing who was enthusiastic about the idea, Chris invited members to put their names forward.

What members really need to understand is, this is no way a means of trying to create an "elite" recipe list, or indeed, a list of "elite" recipe providers.  It is a bit of fun, and a good way of taking the forum forward, as it was becoming a little tired at the time.

It can also provide new members or novice cooks, with a bit of a starting point or guide on their cooking journey.

As long as nobody takes it too serious, it should be a great deal of fun :)

Hope that goes someway in answering your question Stephen?

Ray :)

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 12:50 AM »
Hi Stephen,

As Razor said its a bit of fun, I had never made a kebab before this taste test so I learnt something from it.. and also congrats to Razor and well done everyone else who took part.

Andy

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 02:17 AM »
Actually I'm pleased and surprised at how well the process (seems) to have played out.

As taste and texture are the key ones for me, I will be giving Razor's a try.

Looking forward to Chicken Tikka!

Amongst the ones I'd personally like to see for that one are: CA's, Blade's, Dipuraja's, Lasan's. I can't think if a 5th, but I'm sure there's a few other highly rated ones.

-- Josh

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 09:45 AM »
It was good fun doing the test and generated some surprising results. Above all though, I learnt a great deal from it which will allow me to apply this moving forward. If anything, it shows how important it is to try the many recipes on here. If not for anything else but to help you move forward.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:32 PM by Axe »

©2024 Curry Recipes