Author Topic: The Kebab Group Test Results  (Read 18380 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Kebab Group Test Results
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Well done Bez! Top banana! ;D Thanks to all the testers too for putting in the time and effort ;)

Looking forward to the tikka tests :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 10:43 PM »
Thanks to all the testers too for putting in the time and effort

Yes, it was very good of them. I feel bad now for arguing against this idea when it was first suggested. The title sounded pompous. If it had been described as a band of hard-working, unpaid volunteers - which is how it now strikes me - I don't think I would have had any doubts.

I suggest it could be worth including one recipe from a published source in each test, e.g. from a book by Pat Chapman or Kris Dhillon.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 10:59 PM »
Hi George,

I suggest it could be worth including one recipe from a published source in each test, e.g. from a book by Pat Chapman or Kris Dhillon.

That is a fantastic idea.  At least it would give us some idea of how our recipes fair against the so called "experts"

If the next test is going to be chicken tikka, I will put forward the Kushi tikka, and publish the recipe.  The one thing I would say about it though, I know, and I'm sure you do too George, with you also having the book, this chicken tikka will not be cheap to make.

Good suggestion George, what do the rest of the testers think of this idea?

Ray :)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 04:41 AM »
Like the idea of using a KD/PC or other known baseline. I was struggling for a 5th tikka recipe, so there's one!

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 08:17 AM »
I think its a cracking idea too. I've never been impressed with any published recipes so it will be nice to quantify that against our recipes.

I'm not sure it would be worth doing the Curry Secret Chicken Tikka though. All it contains is chicken, yoghurt, chilli powder, salt, cooking oil and yellow food colouring. I don't need to waste any chicken to know it would be texture 10, ease 10, cost 10, taste 0!

Pat Chapmans looks good but will be bloody hard and expensive. The garam masala involves roasting 10 ingredients then grinding, and the tandoori masala includes things like beetroot powder, mango powder and anatto seed powder.

The Kushi one sounds better, is that from the Balti Cookbook?

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 09:01 AM »
Hi Chris, the patchapman tikka is disappointing. I tried it. A lot of effort , for a unremarkable taste. I felt he had over complicated the recipe, and did not really understand the ingredients. It was old skool indian home cooking taste , not at all bir.
A good chicken tikka needs lemon salt butter cream yogurt coriander cumin , chilly powder, ginger garlic, sugar or honey . this to me is a bir tikka.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 09:20 AM »
Perhaps we could use recipes from books if we are in a situation where we are short for a recipe or two. Otherwise the general idea is good but would only really be suited to recipes that do not require pre-made components like a base.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 09:35 AM »
I think its a cracking idea too. I've never been impressed with any published recipes so it will be nice to quantify that against our recipes.

I'm glad you like the idea. Yes, this was my thinking - to let the published recipes stand up to be counted on a level playing field.  You're right about the unbelievable complexity of many Pat Chapman recipes so I wouldn't wish it on anybody. On the other hand, Kushi is a fairer match, and perhaps less likely to be shown up. I suggest submitting a different author for each test.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 04:08 PM »
Im easy, just post the 5 recipes and i'll get cracking on em :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 08:20 AM »
We haven't forgotten about the group tests, now Summer is out of the way we can hopefully crack on and get all of the Tikka results finished soon so we can move onto the big Onion Bhaji fight!

©2024 Curry Recipes