Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?  (Read 151539 times)

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2010, 09:10 AM »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2010, 09:50 AM »
This is the stuff I have (and Solarsplace I think).

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Natco-Asafoetida-Powder-Hing.html#aISG023

Hi Ramirez, All

Yes, that is the exact stuff that I used.

Having never used it before, I was surprised how strong the flavor of the base was affected by it.

Next time I make the base, am only going to use half the amount as before (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4776.msg45620#msg45620)

@chriswg

Thanks for the tips! - will make a point to try their 'Roshney Chicken' - never had one of those before.

Cheers

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Well thats my book arrived, quite strange there isnt alot of starters on it, i know it aint a proper cook book but i thought there would be at least chicken pakora on the menu lol

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Well thats my book arrived, quite strange there isnt alot of starters on it, i know it aint a proper cook book but i thought there would be at least chicken pakora on the menu lol

Hi gazman1976

Please post some pictures and feedback of your efforts when you get round to trying some of the recipes!

cheers

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2010, 08:05 PM »
This is the stuff I have (and Solarsplace I think).

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Natco-Asafoetida-Powder-Hing.html#aISG023

Hi Ramirez.

I think that's what most people will have as it's easier to get. Note the ingredients too, they don't give proportions but the asafoetida tends to be the smallest component. So I think given the quantities used in the book it's going to be this sort that is used. The use of pure (resin) hing in the quantities used in the book would be way, way, over the top.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2010, 09:56 PM »
my 'dipping' is a little over enthusiastic

I really, really, hope that this term doesn't get used again. The concept of 'dipping' (made up by the author) ranks equal to 'chef's pinch' in the annals of cretinous, made up, BIR terminology!   >:(

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 27, 2010, 04:39 AM »
OK, I've been watching this thread for a while.

Is this book worth getting??

Is there anything new in there that takes us forward? Are the recipes as good as the best ones on the site?

Thx,
Josh

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 27, 2010, 10:09 AM »
my 'dipping' is a little over enthusiastic

I really, really, hope that this term doesn't get used again. The concept of 'dipping' (made up by the author) ranks equal to 'chef's pinch' in the annals of cretinous, made up, BIR terminology!   >:(

Dipping Dipping Dipping  ::)

There is a guide on how to do it accurately in the book, which you should buy I think if you haven't already.

Josh, in my view the book is worth getting! I don't really have the time to be trying all the different bases, recipes, methods etc on this site, so its given me something to focus on and stick to for the cooking. The results so far have been bang on, and I'd advise the sceptics to try the book before picking holes in it.

Besides, what's 8 quid these days? 2 bottles of cider in some pubs?

Paul

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 27, 2010, 10:27 AM »
TyeNoodle, you seem to have to gone the furthest with this book. In terms of the bhajis, did you make the recipe for the large or small portion? Also, did you make the tomato paste and tandoori marinade for the dishes you have made so far?

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 27, 2010, 10:56 AM »
Hello, I made a smaller portion. Well the mrs did the ingredients and I did the cooking! I think we ended up with about 30 Bhajis? Came out pretty good really, they certainly got eaten fast enough!

I have made the tandoori marinade, tomato paste, garlic and ginger paste, onion sauce so far. Onion sauce I wasn't too happy with but I'm sure that's more my method than the recipe.

©2024 Curry Recipes