Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?  (Read 151519 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #310 on: August 31, 2010, 10:53 AM »
 :D976bar thanks for your update and photographs. Given other posts above it will be good to hear of your results for the meals especially if you stick to the recipes as given. Only then will we know if this base is worth the trouble. I would also value knowing where you are from so as to know regionally what you are comparing it to but that is just a wee thing for me. PP

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 31, 2010, 10:58 AM »
Hi Panpot,

Originally from London but now live in Berkshire :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 31, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Hi

I would like to thoroughly recommend the Garlic Chilli Chicken Tikka recipe in this book, I think its on page 94 (not got book to hand atm).

I have been making this recipe a lot with a slightly modified version of CA's base and the results are absolutely outstanding. I have tried it with normal chicken and prawns too and that works equally as well.

When I make it, I use quite a lot of oil, and am able to reclaim from the cooked dish the most beautiful BIR smelling red oil and use it in any subsequent dishes. In my personal opinion, with this one dish the results exceed the flavour and smell of my local TA.

I can go into further details if anyone is interested, but I encourage those with the book to try the recipe, very very nice.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 31, 2010, 06:24 PM »
:D976bar thanks for your update and photographs. Given other posts above it will be good to hear of your results for the meals especially if you stick to the recipes as given. Only then will we know if this base is worth the trouble. I would also value knowing where you are from so as to know regionally what you are comparing it to but that is just a wee thing for me. PP

Chicken Tikka is in the fridge marinating. I normally marinate this for a good 24 hours before cooking over coals :)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 01, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Cheers 976bar, looking forward to hearing more of your results. Thanks too Solarsplace for your update. I have yet to cook from the book having recently stocked up the freezer with Ashoka gear. I have enjoyed reading the book and feel that all the interest and posts on it have been good for all of us.pp

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 02, 2010, 06:15 AM »
Well, I made both the Garlic Chilli Chicken Masala and the Chicken Tikka Masala last night with the new base to the exact recipes I've previously used and to be honest, there was no real significant change.

The dishes both turned out a little less sweet than previously, and I ended up putting a bit more sugar in the CTM but apart from that, I really don't think spending 11 hours on this base sauce has given me any advantages.

The base sauce is a lot darker than my previous ones which gave a different colour contrast to the final dishes.

Next time I make a base, I might revert back to CA's and try the asofoetda and fenugreek in there to see if that makes any difference.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 02, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Hi 976bar , from Lake Garda Italy  ;D ( no Indian TA's here though  :( )
I did make a 9 litre portion of this base but believe I ruined it by using used oil from the deep fat fryer , although the fryer is only used for frying Bhajis and the odd few chips i think possibly starch ? from the potatoes may have given the oil a acidic flavour to the detriment of the base. However I didn't have any problems in the cooking of the base time wise and the aroma around the house from the base was like no other base I have made and was fantastic  :o the resultant curries did have this acidic taste that i mentioned earlier and i ended up scrapping the remaining base  :( but i will be trying this again when i get back but i believe adding asofeteda and cabbage to other bases on the site could be advantageous.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 02, 2010, 10:08 AM »
Hi Emin-j,

Would you add the fenugreek as well?

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 02, 2010, 11:19 AM »
hi , for a standard base with 3 or 4 pints water and between 1 and 2 kg of onion, how much cabbage would be the right amount? i guess about a quarter of a white cabbage? does that sound right?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 02, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Hi Derek,

I guess that sounds about right. I only had greens, so I used a big handful of them, maybe thats why the base turned out much darker?

©2024 Curry Recipes