Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?  (Read 151549 times)

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 12:33 PM »
So what is the latest take on this book then  :P
On reading here, it just gets better.  ;D
Good way to make cash however, creating a book, but once people had twigged its not real, reputations can fail.

I won't buy it there are several recipes here that I need yet to try. So soon on those, and there are some tremendous cooks on here too.

I do like the book cover however  :P
Have a great day everyone.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 12:38 PM »
How does one go about getting a book published?  8)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 01:46 PM »
My copy has finally arrived and is waiting at home for me to read. I'll have a good read through it and share my thoughts.

I agree with Solar that it's worth trying a few recipes before passing judgement. Hopefully we'll all learn a little something from it.

Getting a book published is easy, getting people to buy it is the hard part!

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 01:50 PM »

It's just as well I was using my digital bullshit meter on this quote. If I'd been using my old analog one its needle would be wrapped around the end stop!  ::)

Lmao  ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Until some of the recipes have been tried we can't really condemn the book but some of the comments on this topic and from the author's site and blog, leave me to think that the book is just another trying to cash in on people's want to learn the art of BIR cooking.

Offline lagathy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 02:41 PM »
sooooooo....

what about the tomato puree..? isnt that,according to the site,supposed to contain something more than tomato puree???

i am fairly convinced though that,as the author,Mick,Haldi and few lucky others who have been able to get their hands on seriously bhajii "infused" oil (though i presonally reckon it is probably just the cooking batter which does this) the final icing non the cake for that BIR taste is down to highly used oil...though i have no way,inclination of finding out  :-\

Is that pretty much the consensus then on this book...?

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 03:37 PM »
How does one go about getting a book published?  8)

It's quite easy to self publish, Axe...pricing depends upon number of pages/quantity and size of books but you can do it for a few quid including cover and bindings ;)

Until some of the recipes have been tried we can't really condemn the book but some of the comments on this topic and from the author's site and blog, leave me to think that the book is just another trying to cash in on people's want to learn the art of BIR cooking.

Indeed. The comments in this thread regarding this book do not make me inclined to part with my money - in fact I'd go as far as to say that anyone having read through this forum could well publish their own book especially if we're not tied to actually putting precise recipes in print!

I'm awaiting the results of those undercover curry recipes though...if anyone figures them out, that is lol

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I have not made a Base Sauce with anywhere near the amount of Onions stated in the Base  Gravy recipe neither have I seen a recipe with so many Onions or using reclaimed oil in the Base ( perhaps there is one but I've missed it ) as we often say we are only looking for that final 5% and if the Onions and oil is that 5% that's worth ?8 of my money any day.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 08:17 PM »
This is like watching Raiders of the Lost Ark and trying to find that missing artifact on life's solution to the BIR!!!!! LOL :)

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2010, 09:12 PM »
I mentioned the use of used bhaji frying oil over a year ago and do this regularly,
I get the oil from my local restaurant after they have fried over 100 bhajis in it, 5 or 6 at a time,

Mick - do you think this spiced oil could be replicated at home? I'd figure a scaled down oil pot (few litres) and cook say 25 bhajis would infuse the oil similarly to cooking 100 bhajis in a commercial sized fryer?

I've tried a few spiced oil concoctions, skimmed curry oil, bunjarra oil, etc. but never anything as simple as "bhaji oil".

-- Josh
Hi Josh,
I have tried replicating it at home simply by putting some gram flour, mix powder and chopped onions into a litre of oil and frying it gently for some time until the oil darkens considerably, which is the ingredients burning, this is done over a relatively low heat, it does produce a flavoured oil which I have filtered and use in the base,
It is a bit of work and doesn't give the same flavour as oil from my local restaurant,
But I think it is an improvement over new veg oil,
However, as I say, I can get some of the bhaji oil locally, they do not use commercial fryers to cook their bhajis but a wok holding a couple of litres of oil, they will cook off over a hundred bhajis in this by which time the oil is quite dark and the last bhajis take longer to cook than the first ones in, as the oil looses its effectiveness,
Cheers,
Mick

©2024 Curry Recipes