Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?  (Read 149984 times)

Offline adamski

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 06:17 PM »
Interesting quote from the books contents.

"You?ll see others you?re quite familiar with, such as tomato puree, but don?t be fooled ? in British Indian restaurants, ?tomato puree? is much more than just tomato puree."

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Here's another quote:

"to our certain knowledge, no-one has ever before put down in print the actual ingredients the British Indian restaurants use to make the gravy, the sauce, much less pass on the cooking process."

I have high hopes and look forward to receiving the book. Whilst the above comment may apply to books by Pat Chapman and Kris Dhillon, I'm not sure it applies to the Authentic Balti cookbook and recipes on this website. Time will tell. If the author is the genuine article, he deserves to do well.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 07:41 PM »
I've had a few emails back from him today and he is quite keen to join the forum. Only time will tell. I suggested he puts a Chicken Tikka recipe forwards for the upcoming group test!

He said he will join up as soon as he has some free time.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 07:48 PM »
It's hard not to get the hopes up too high.

Wish I chose next day delivery rather than the free (slow) one now :(

But, seriously, how much free time does it take to join a forum? - Hope he does though!

Cheers

Offline moezus

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 01:14 AM »
I'm in Australia and ordering from the Amazon UK as no one has the book here. I think I'll be waiting a while before I get my hands on it. Just reading the table of contents on the author's web site gets me keen to start cooking.

Until I found this site I had no idea that traditional indian curry is something completely different to BIR curry which explains why all the cookbooks i've bought have recipes which are nothing like what I get at a restaurant.

Been reading for a while and will be trying the SnS base and madras this weekend to tide me over until the book arrives. Pretty excited about my first attempt at a BIR curry. Had one question though, If I am cooking for 5 people do I still have to make the final curry in individual portions or is it safe to just keep adding base until I think I have enough gravy for 5 portions in one pot?

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 08:54 AM »
sorry to sound sceptical guys, but i doubt we will learn much from this publication.
Hope I'm proved wrong tho
mick

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 09:54 AM »
Had one question though, If I am cooking for 5 people do I still have to make the final curry in individual portions or is it safe to just keep adding base until I think I have enough gravy for 5 portions in one pot?

Hi

I personally always make CA's Madras or Vindaloo in a double portion - just 2x everything with approx 600ml of base together in one pan.

If you do this with some rice, naan and some side dishes such as aaag aoo and some bhajees you will easily have enough for 5 people. It is critical though that you observe all the usual cooking techniques that are discussed on the site though.

cheers

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 10:01 AM »
anyone actually got this book yet ?

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 05:45 PM »
I'm in Australia and ordering from the Amazon UK as no one has the book here. I think I'll be waiting a while before I get my hands on it. Just reading the table of contents on the author's web site gets me keen to start cooking.

Until I found this site I had no idea that traditional indian curry is something completely different to BIR curry which explains why all the cookbooks i've bought have recipes which are nothing like what I get at a restaurant.

Been reading for a while and will be trying the SnS base and madras this weekend to tide me over until the book arrives. Pretty excited about my first attempt at a BIR curry. Had one question though, If I am cooking for 5 people do I still have to make the final curry in individual portions or is it safe to just keep adding base until I think I have enough gravy for 5 portions in one pot?

I would make 5 individual Curry's and store in takeaway containers , as it's your first attempt if you mess up ( burn the Garlic / Ginger or Spices ) you will only have to throw away one portion  ;)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 07:12 PM »
I would make 5 individual Curry's and store in takeaway containers , as it's your first attempt if you mess up ( burn the Garlic / Ginger or Spices ) you will only have to throw away one portion  ;)

Very, very good idea indeed! - why did I not think of that?

©2024 Curry Recipes