Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?  (Read 149937 times)

Offline two-sheds

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 09:28 AM »
have ordered one this morning will report on reciept

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 09:45 AM »
Got it through the post this morning,it certainly is an interesting read.The guy has definitely saw the workings of a BIR kitchen.From what I've read so far no magical ingredients or techniques.He does however stress the need for using reused oil(from onion bhaji cooking etc) when making the base sauce(again no other magical ingredients).This is says is the key to achieving 'that' special taste....I'll keep on reading

Online Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Does he give the recipe for the bhajis?

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 10:07 AM »
I don't think anyone expected this to be a eureka moment, I'm hoping it will confirm some of what we know and hopefully lay out the process in an easy to follow process that we can all recreate.

Does he have a chicken tikka recipe in there? We could add it to the group test. I'm also looking forward to seeing his Onion Bhaji recipe and method to see how it compares to IG.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 12:01 PM »

Yes, there's a recipe for onion bhajis but I don't think it's fair on the author for me or anyone else to write out the recipe for that or anything else here. Shame on any copyright criminals who do. It's only 8 pounds to purchase from Amazon, including shipping.

The book looks good and is definitely focussed 90%+ on BIR stuff, unlike New Curry Secret which may be under 30% in that regard. I'm grateful for what it covers rather than some apparent glaring omissions. It includes dhansak, mixed vegetable curry, sag aloo, pilau rice and many other dishes which I'm most interested in. The recipe for peshwari naan filling looks more promising than any other recipe I've seen, and there are some other new twists on various dishes, too.

But how could he leave out CTM, korma and biryani for a start?  Unforgiveable, really. Perhaps there's already a follow-up book envisaged.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Yay! - book just arrived!

Yes, the book gives the recipe, as standard makes 150 bhajis - but there are instructions on how to scale down.

Have only had a brief skim read so far, my initial reaction is one of fairly significant excitement! and do not feel for one instant that the purchase has been a waste of money.

Mostly all the favorite recipes are in there, along with many pages explaining the why's and the how's in considerable detail.

Well - need to make some more base this weekend - so shall be making this one and reporting back here hopefully with some good news. Will defo need to scale down the bhajis though 150 is too many even for me ;)

There seem to be many many helpful tips, plus a couple of opposites of what is generally considered to be the correct way to do things as discussed on this site - a little something to do with the gravy. Not sure if I will get done for copyright mentioning it here? any thoughts? - We don't want to p*ss this guy off if he is going to hopefully register on this site!

Overall, I think you would not be wasting your money adding this book to your personal collections.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 12:17 PM »
Actually there is a recipe for CTM on page 152 at the end,not sure about one certain ingredient though!!!  I guess the proof will be in the eating!!1

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 12:53 PM »
I agree that printing the recipes would be unfair and probably in breach of copyright, but I can't see any problem in discussing some of the talking points. My book has arrived but I'm at work so will have to wait until I get home to read it. What is this strange addition to the CTM recipe? What is the controversial point on the gravy?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Actually there is a recipe for CTM on page 152 at the end,not sure about one certain ingredient though!!!  I guess the proof will be in the eating!!1

Thanks! Talk about well hidden. It's not included in the contents and is in an 'addendum'!

There's also an outline of how to make biryani - also well hidden.

Now all I need is to find his take on korma.

I agree that printing the recipes would be unfair and probably in breach of copyright, but I can't see any problem in discussing some of the talking points.

I agree. For example, I'm happy to say he uses pineapple juice and chunks rather than any lemon in Dhansak.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 01:07 PM »
Hi

OK then, I found it interesting that he explicitly states and goes into detail why you should never skim the 'scum' off the base during to cooking process.

Not an 'earth-shatterer' by any means, but something to think about....

cheers

©2024 Curry Recipes