Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?  (Read 151414 times)

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2010, 05:41 PM »
Got a load of base on the go today too  ;D

Just waiting for it to cool before blending..

And what remains of last nights bhaji's and samosas. Very impressed with them!

Offline billycat

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2010, 10:10 PM »
Thought the onions were supposed to be whole or am i wrong ???and got this base mixed up with someone elses  :-\

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Great pics, thanks.
My pan had things floating on it, just like it is really. Did you put everything in, in one go?
Great pics again.

;D

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2010, 01:29 AM »
I'm sure it said to roughly chop everything...  :P

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2010, 09:11 AM »
Good effort Tye. Is that fenugreek seeds on top of the base ingredients? They look whole rather than crushed - took me about 20 mins of hard smashing in the pestle and mortar to break mine down. Did using them whole have any negative effect i.e. hard bits in the final base? Maybe after an hour of simmering they get soft enough to blend.

Also, I hate raising negative points, but the bhajis look a bit cakey. Thats usually caused by having too much batter stuck to the onions. I used to be very happy with bhajis that looked like that before Axe's excellent kitchen demo showed me the error of my ways.

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2010, 11:46 AM »
Chris, yes I stuck the fenugreek seeds in whole, kinda realised my mistake after they'd gone in but they seem to have broken down ok.

The Bhaji's were a little cakey, but bear in mind that is them before the final hot fry. That seemed to remove a great deal of it and to be fair they were a damn sight tastier than any other home made attempts I've tried. But maybe less bicarb next time.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2010, 01:16 PM »
Got a pan full of the Undercover 2 litre base on the go right now, it's on the second simmer and the whole house is beginning to smell of very BIR aromas, yummy.

Must be the hing, doin' its thing!

Cheers
CoR

What oil did you use in the base ? and did you use cabbage ?  :)

Yes there was cabbage in it and the oil was my own spiced oil (rice bran oil + ginger, garlic, and whole spices infused on a low heat for about half an hour), can't do o/b's etc atm as we don't have a deep fryer.

The base turned out really well even though I screwed up a bit and didn't dilute it enough so the texture wasn't quite right in the finished curry, the taste was definitely along the right lines though, well worth a go.

Going to do the onion sauce later today and the vindaloo paste looks interesting.

Regards
CoR

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Hi,

TyeNoodle, CurryOnRegardless & all

Have you made any of the main dishes yet? - would be interested to see some pics and hear some feedback from your efforts.

I have personally made the Vindaloo recipe around 5 times now, will try another dish soon, but I like to reach a point of producing consistent results with a recipe for comparison reasons.

The other night, when sitting down munching on said curry, for the first time - I had an inner thought to myself. This thought was something along the lines of:

'Well you've made some damn good curries in the past of this there is no doubt, but if you are truthful to yourself you know they are just not quite the same as a BIR makes them. But this one, this one is a little different. This actually for the first time has an unexplained quality about it, almost like I did not make it. It is actually very BIR. You know you have some way to go to be sure, but this actually has a remarkable BIR quality to it.'

Trouble is, at least three things have changed now, new cooking technique of high heat throughout - as high as I can get it without burning the spices and splattering curry all over the kitchen, new base and new main recipe. Not sure which part of the equation is to attribute. Probably all three....

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2010, 05:46 PM »
Hi Solarspice

If you think you are nearer to 'that' BIR  taste now wait till you try the onion sauce, fantastic. Will be testing out the vindaloo sauce next week.

This Undercover Dave bloke has definitely got something right, IMHO. Anyone else notice he doesn't use a spice mix in the main meals, just ordinary curry powder.

Cheers
CoR 

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Hi Cor
I noticed the lack of a spice mix, however the using the Rajah Curry Powder on its own does make some sense as the main ingredients are-
Corriander
Tumeric
Cumin
Chilli
Garlic
Yellow Mustard
Fenugreek
Bay Leaves
Fennel
Basically the ingredients that go into many of the spice mixes.
I will be making the onion sauce next, what meal did you use it for.
There is no recipe for the Tandoori Massala, what are you using.
Thanks
Matt

©2024 Curry Recipes