Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?  (Read 151526 times)

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2010, 01:27 PM »
Haldi, it will give you your pre-used oil you were after! If nothing else.

Very good book, I for one am happy with it!  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2010, 07:40 PM »
TyeNoodle, where are the chillis mate? It ain't a Jalfrezi if it ain't got whole chillis!

And that had better not be a slice of cucumber just under dead centre of the picture!   ;D

If I were being super critical I'd say it was too red and had way too many onions too.

This is how a Jalfrezi should look:

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2010, 12:03 AM »
Hello, chillies are in there somewhere and its a lime you see, not cucumber!!

And it looks the same as my local, tastes similar too is what I'm after. Yours looks too gooey for me sorry. Kinda what I had served to me in a 'posh' BIR in some scottish town I visited earlier this year.

After all, its what its all about innit... getting what you like ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2010, 08:53 AM »
Hi Tyenoodle

Is your version of the Jalfrezi from this book?

It definitely has too many onions for me, looks more like a dopiaza to me. Lime in a jalfrezi...well I never!   :o

I do agree with you that the one in the picture I posted (it's not mine) does look gooey or too thick, I would certainly prefer a runnier sauce.

But for me it does have all the trademarks of a decent Jalfrezi...not too red with artificial colour, prominent whole chillis and subtle quantiies of tomato and pepper. It seems that all dishes nowadays are brimming with peppers and onions. How the hell do the hope to differentiate their offerings when they do that!

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Just put the Undercover Curry Base on the cooker and within 20 mins the house smells like a BIR takeaway  ;D of all the base sauce recipes I have made none has quite had this aroma  :) don't know if it's the Hing or the amount of Onions or the Bhaji Oil but it smells wonderful.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2010, 03:55 PM »
I posted this some time ago now. Interesting how things come around isn't it?
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3937.0

How many people have tried that recipe from this new book so far please?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2010, 05:12 PM »
I posted this some time ago now. Interesting how things come around isn't it?
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3937.0

You might be right.

I can't get my taste buds anywhere near it. it's certainly not BIR

If you are right and Jerry is wrong, perhaps Jerry will need to delete it from the list of myths. I always said we should be more careful before dismissing anything, until we're 100% there, and can look back on how it was done, with more certainty.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2010, 05:34 PM »
Hi Emin-j,

I've now got the book too. It raises many questions though.

Did you use the onion bhaji oil and if so roughly how many bhajis did you cook in it?

Secondly what size of base did you make and did you stick to the recipe quantities?

Finally what sort of hing did you use? The large quantities of hing specified seem like nothing else I've seen.

Cheers,

Paul.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2010, 07:18 PM »
Hi Emin-j,

I've now got the book too. It raises many questions though.

Did you use the onion bhaji oil and if so roughly how many bhajis did you cook in it?

Secondly what size of base did you make and did you stick to the recipe quantities?

Finally what sort of hing did you use? The large quantities of hing specified seem like nothing else I've seen.

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul, luckily our deep fat fryer is only used to cook Bhaji's and the odd few Chips so used 400ml of that .
The hing I bought from here - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/200g-ASAFOETIDA-HING-WHOLE-INDIAN-SPICES-SEASONINGS-/150405487316?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item2304dd9ad4
It's the 'whole ' variety and you have to grind it yourself .
I have a 10 ltr pot 5ltr of veg ( 3/4 Onion then all the rest ) after first cook and blend added 4 ltrs water then simmer, the base looks great  ;)

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2010, 09:05 PM »
Hi Tyenoodle

Is your version of the Jalfrezi from this book?

It definitely has too many onions for me, looks more like a dopiaza to me. Lime in a jalfrezi...well I never!   :o

I do agree with you that the one in the picture I posted (it's not mine) does look gooey or too thick, I would certainly prefer a runnier sauce.

But for me it does have all the trademarks of a decent Jalfrezi...not too red with artificial colour, prominent whole chillis and subtle quantiies of tomato and pepper. It seems that all dishes nowadays are brimming with peppers and onions. How the hell do the hope to differentiate their offerings when they do that!

Hi SS, I made a few alterations to the recipe as I do enjoy onions in my curries. I also added the piece of lime as a finisher, the local t/a does it and it seems to work.

To be honest with you, its the only dish I have from there that has that quantity of onions and peppers in it, but then I never have much 'traditional bir' dishes from there, preferring to eat off the 'house specials' menu.

It tastes good to me, and my friends so I'm going to work on the back of that!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes