Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?  (Read 151216 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #240 on: July 29, 2010, 02:39 PM »
Get back in your box CA. The forum was rolling along quite nicely until you reared your warped little head again.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 29, 2010, 02:41 PM »
Get back in your box CA. The forum was rolling along quite nicely until you reared your warped little head again.

Of course, you (and one or two others here) want to spew forth your negativity and vitriol unhindered SS...hahaha, so sorry mate, no can do  ::)

So where IS your madras (or curry base, or any other) recipe then SS?  You've only been here for 6 years, or so, after all  :-\
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:54 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 29, 2010, 03:47 PM »

Ok, when I tasted the curry and thought it was too sour, I should have stopped and not added the suggested slice of lemon.

That really is the most non-sensical thing you can ever do when cooking.  You are cooking as if painting by numbers.  I used to make Thai Green Curries which never really turned out well.  I managed to spend some time watching and helping in a Thai kitchen and learnt that recipes are just guidelines.  They just kept tasting their efforts and adding a bit of fish sauce or a bit of sugar to get the correct balance.  I now cook quite a good Thai Green Curry as a result of following their lead.  Some lemons are bigger than others.  Some more sour.  Some fish sauces more salty even withing the same brands.  Some sugars sweeter etc etc.  I hope I don't sound too patronizing but from your statement above, you needed to be reminded.   ;)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 29, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Hey Ader1 , you got a good recipe then for a thai curry plz ?

Thanks in advance

Garry

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 29, 2010, 06:16 PM »
I hope I don't sound too patronizing but from your statement above, you needed to be reminded.   

Haven't you misinterpreted what SS said? He was effectively tasting the dish as he went along, just like you correctly pointed out is a worthwhile approach.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:29 PM by George »

Offline Ader1

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 29, 2010, 07:11 PM »
Hey Ader1 , you got a good recipe then for a thai curry plz ?

Thanks in advance

Garry

Will do in the Thai section in the next few days.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 29, 2010, 08:02 PM »
thanks in advance , and also good rice to go with it lol

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 30, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Hey everyone Cory Ander is back! I've missed the CA vs the SS and George tag team bickering. It always brings a smile to my face and makes me want to post. I'm sure it's not great for the forum, but on the slow summer days it is great entertainment.

Regarding his Bhaji recipe, it's a poor one. No potatoes is his first mistake, then softening the onions with salt is a big no-no. Anyone who does that will end up with mud pie bhajis rather than crispy cooked through ones. I think he also makes the batter then coats the onions with it (I might be wrong as I'm at work at the moment). This is also not right in my (and the IG's) opinion. The method of spicing the onions, coating with egg, then adding the flour until sitcky works much better. His cooking method was better using a low temperature for 12 minutes rather than some recipes that suggest 180 degrees for 5 minutes.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 30, 2010, 12:04 PM »
Hi TN

Did you get the onion sauce sorted? I had good results by starting it on the top of the stove then sealing the pan with tin foil and letting the sauce cook in a very low oven for about 3 hours, some of the onions dissolved and thickened the sauce, the end result was fabulous.

The vindaloo sauce is amazing, used it instead of tomato puree in a jalfrezi, fantastic.

CA, the book just lists several 'core' preparations and sauces and the 'recipes' are really just different combinations of such sauces etc., so it's difficult to explain them without reading the book, surely Down Under Amazon would get it for you, it's worth trying anyway, it's not perfect or the whole answer but what is?

Cheers
CoR

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 30, 2010, 12:27 PM »
COR, I didnt use up all my onion sauce, I made quite a bit of it. I think I know where I went wrong;

Not sealing the pan enough

Being a bit lazy blending the gravy so It ended up a bit 'grainy'.

I will try again though, next week back onto early shifts so got a bit of afternoon to play with..

I'm collecting red chillies and drying them to make the vindaloo sauce  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes