Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?  (Read 151387 times)

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #270 on: August 02, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Hi Matt

Would you tell me what you think this book has taught you that you couldn't have found on this forum?

I obviously can't speak for Matt but, from what little I've seen, I suggest the following are just some of the things, presented in the book, that have not been presented or discussed much (if at all) on this forum.  As such, they offer intriguing alternative insights into what potentially goes on in BIRs.  And, as Haldi says, the ideas are all neatly wrapped up in one book:

• cabbage, asafoetida (large amounts) and bhaji oil in the base (perhaps the latter has been discussed most of all)
  • garlic/ginger puree in the ratio of 1/3rd to 2/3rd in favour of ginger
  • onion, vindaloo and patia sauces (I find these the most intriguing of all)
  • addition of tandoori marinade in non CTM dishes
  • making your own yoghurt
  • modified tomato puree

All may have been discussed here, but not in any great depth.  I am not aware of anyone on the forum regularly using (or presenting) any of these ideas? 

And I presume there may be more, similar "novel" ideas, in the book?

Thanks for covering those points CA, I would also add the use of ground fenugreek seeds in the base.
No methi in the main curry dishes, no spice mix just pre made Rajah is recommended, plus use of Tandoori massala in nearly every dish.
Minmal spicing in the dishes.
I'm sure there are some others I've missed.
However I would say that with the knowledge gained on this site it has helped me appreciate what the author is trying to explain and achieve.
Matt

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 02, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I haven't read all of this thread so may have missed it, but has anyone actually made the large quantity of base from this book yet?

If so, what was it like?

Hi 976bar , last weekend I made 9ltrs of the Undercover Curry Base the aroma around the house was as near a BIR I have ever had  :o As Secret Santa suggested I may have over done the amount of Hing as I used ' Whole Hing ' which I had to grind myself and following an email sent to Dave Loydens the Author of the book he confirmed it is the Hing in the Yellow containers ( Vandevi type ) which is mixed with - rice flour,gum arabic,turmeric, and wheat flour.
The Curries I made using the base were a little disappointing tasting a little bitter but this could of been the recipe I used which did not suit the already Curry like base , the next time I will follow the Madras recipe in the book and see if it's an improvement.

Offline coffee

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 06, 2010, 12:43 PM »

Roughly,how many onions are used in the scaled down version of the base sauce ie the 2 litre pot version

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 06, 2010, 10:50 PM »

Roughly,how many onions are used in the scaled down version of the base sauce ie the 2 litre pot version

Any size pot it's 3/4 of the pot , depends on the size of the Onions as to how many  ;)
The book says ' roughly chop the Onions ' , I think I cut my Onions into 4 and it took a fair few.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 07, 2010, 09:54 AM »

As emin-j says, the finer you chop the onions the more it takes but I'd say get yourself about 2kgs that way you should have plenty left to do the onion sauce as well, highly recommended!

Cheers
CoR

Offline coffee

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 07, 2010, 11:06 AM »

If you fill any pot 3/4 full what measurement do you use for the spice setc  -the amount for the 2 litre version  or do you upscale  if say you  are using  a pan somewhere between 2 litres and 18 litres as  I do not want to overspice/underspice the base.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 07, 2010, 11:18 AM »
Hi guys, For me and anybody else just joining or returning to the site could you tell me what is the book you are all posting about? sorry but I have been reading back and cant find it yet. PP

Offline coffee

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 07, 2010, 11:32 AM »

See http://www.undercovercurry.com/id2.html for authors page. Can buy book from Amazon

Offline TyeNoodle

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 07, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Its good, I cooked 4 curries last night and everyone was happy. The jalfrezi is pretty much what I've been looking for..

Coupled with a few a few hints and tips from here of course :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2010, 09:54 AM »
I have now made 6 portions of Curry using this base and have decided to ditch the remaining 6ish litres  :o I don't think the recipe was at fault but rather the used oil that I used from the deep fat fryer  :-\ the resultant Curries have had a acidic flavour and a bit sickly so am for the moment returning to the CA base and Curry recipe . I still value the Book and recipes and will try the base again with either a Spiced or even plain vegetable Oil.

©2024 Curry Recipes