Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?  (Read 149960 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2010, 08:01 PM »
Josh,

Many thanks for the feedback on this. I was about to make the base from this book, but if it's not any better than CA's, Razor's, SNS or any others given the time it takes to produce, then I might just stick to what I am doing already. Do you think that the addition of Asofoetida would have made any difference?

I do like the sound of the Vindaloo paste though and will most definitely try this. I also like CA's versions of curries and make them most of the time, but I also do find they taste pretty similar, given that they almost all use the same spice mix with just a few variants. No disrespect to CA, he has bought this site and curries to a new level with his hard work. Thank you for this CA!! :)

Has anyone tried any of Mark's (from Australia) dishes yet? If so what did you think?

Mark, I would love to see some pictures of your final curries please :)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 30, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Josh, Thanks too for a full report. One of the things that stands out from others efforts above is the smell created by this base. Can you comment on this and whether the lack of Asofoetida is significant in this regard. As smell has a big impact on our taste buds you mat be walking away from the real value in this base and the resultant recipes by missing this ingrediant and its portion. Just a thought. PP

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 30, 2010, 01:19 PM »
As smell has a big impact on our taste buds you mat be walking away from the real value in this base and the resultant recipes by missing this ingrediant and its portion. Just a thought. PP

I agree. From a logical and near-scientific point of view, I think Josh's test has been totally invalidated by missing out what appears to be a crucial ingredient. I can't believe he went to all that trouble and expense with the vital ingredient missing. As a result, I really wouldn't place any credence on his conclusions.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 30, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Ok Guys, I changed my mind.

I have literally just stuck a small quantity of this base on the stove about 5 minutes ago, complete with asofoetida. I've taken a picture of the raw veggies in the pot and will take more pictures during the cooking stage and let you know the final outcome :)

Offline hk

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 30, 2010, 02:41 PM »
For me, this (i.e. the small scale version of the curry base that I outlined above) is a very good curry base. 

The following (in my order of priority) is what I distill from it for inclusion (and experimentation) in my own curry base:

• Large amounts of asafoetida (this definitely, in my opinion, contributes to a "BIR smell")
  • Powdered fenugreek (this definitely contributes to, in my opinion, the depth and savouriness of resultant curries)
  • The ratio of onions to other ingredients (the texture of resultant curries is nicely "flocculated", like I've only otherwise seen using Darth's curry base.....and in BIR curries)
  • The ratio of oil to other ingredients (the oil separates nicely in the resultant curries, if not when cooking the base)
  • the inclusion of cabbage (but I'm not too sure that this produces any discernible difference or advantage?)

I didn't use "bhaji oil" and I presume this might even improve things further.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:00 PM by hk »

Offline hk

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 30, 2010, 02:54 PM »
I think Josh's test has been totally invalidated by missing out what appears to be a crucial ingredient. I can't believe he went to all that trouble and expense with the vital ingredient missing. As a result, I really wouldn't place any credence on his conclusions.

Perhaps, but if Josh isn't too impressed with the smell (in particular) and the flavour, then it might point towards the importance of adding copious amounts of asafoetida?  Therfore, a VALID conclusion ( with a little interpretation, understanding and open mindedness  ;))

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 31, 2010, 05:35 AM »
I agree. From a logical and near-scientific point of view, I think Josh's test has been totally invalidated by missing out what appears to be a crucial ingredient. I can't believe he went to all that trouble and expense with the vital ingredient missing. As a result, I really wouldn't place any credence on his conclusions.

In ways George, you're right. Every other time I've seen asafoetida mentioned, its been a pinch or thereabouts. This base calls for more of it than I've ever seen (chef's spoon?)

If this makes a fundamental difference, which it may, then not only have I made a mistake, we may have also found the missing ingredient.

The smell the way I made it was not noticeably different from other bases I have made. The resultant curries weren't noticeably better either.

I may have missed it, but did anyone try it with the full asafoetida measure?

-- Josh

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 31, 2010, 08:11 AM »
I may have missed it, but did anyone try it with the full asafoetida measure?

I thought nearly all the people who reported great resuls from this base made it with all the ingredients included - hence my comment. It must be worth another try, unless you can add the asafoetida now, to your present batch of base, but I'm not sure it will have the same effect.

Suddenly, this book is looking like it might be a major breakthrough, after all. Perhaps the favourable response, here and elsewhere, is pushing up the value of the book. I see you can now pay as much as ?16 (incl p&P) on eBay. Search eBay.co.uk with 'undercover curry' to see the item I refer to.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 31, 2010, 08:39 AM »

Suddenly, this book is looking like it might be a major breakthrough, after all. Perhaps the favourable response, here and elsewhere, is pushing up the value of the book. I see you can now pay as much as ?16 (incl p&P) on eBay. Search eBay.co.uk with 'undercover curry' to see the item I refer to.

Cheeky buggers, just checked, still available for 8 quid with free delivery from Amazon which is how I bought mine, ordered Sunday it was delivered on Tuesday.

Cheers
CoR

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 31, 2010, 09:13 AM »
Ok, I made this base yesterday with full on Asofoetida.

I have to say that this was a very time consuming base to make. I started making this base at 13:00 hrs yesterday afternoon and having spent 40 minutes preparing all the veggies and spices and oil etc, it finally went on the stove at 13:40 hrs.

I had this on the lowest setting possible for nearly 2 hours and the veggies hadn't even started to sweat, so I don't think the lowest setting is actually correct in the book. I then ramped the heat up a bit and after another 2 hours the veggies had released their moisture and there was a horrible stink coming from the pot. (My guess it was the asofoetida and fenugreek).

I then removed it from the heat and allowed it to cool for 1 hour, and then I put it through the blender until completely smooth.

Next, I transfered it back to the pot and here's the tricky bit, just how much extra water do you add? Too much and it could turn out wishy washy, too little and it could reduce down to nothing, so it is a bit of trial and error here.

I then proceeded to heat up the liquid, I got the froth (Scum) and stirred it all back in as required in the book. Now the time wait. I have to say that at 21:30 hrs last night there was only just a bare hint of oil on the top. I continued with this until 23:30 hrs last night and there was barely a film.

So, I switched it off for the night and thought I would leave it overnight.

This morning, there was a bit more oil on the top, but nothing that I would call beneficial, so, once again I put it back on the heat, this time for 2 hours and I now have a red oil film on top. I really don't think simmering this any longer is going to produce any further amounts of oil. The smell has reduced a lot and the end base sauce tastes a bit more bitter than those I have made in the past, unlike CA's and SNS which have always been a sweeter.

I've yet to make a curry with this and will let you know the outcome. I plan to make a Chicken Madras and a Garlic Chilli Chicken on Thursday, then a CTM on Saturday.

So, is this base going to be worth the amount of time it has taken to create that BIR taste, or will making anyone of the other bases from this site which takes a fraction of the time? I've yet to find out. Maybe using either CA's or Razor's or one of the others and adding the asofoetida and fenugreek would make a difference? Who knows, I guess this will be down to more experimenting.

It's a pity the book doesn't give any illustrations to show what you should actually be achieving here.

By the way I used 1.2 kg onions, but kept everything else bang on as per the previous quantities shown on this thread for the small quantity.

Here are some pictures from beginning to end, hopefully some of you who have made this base will be able to relate to them and advise whether your experimentation gave the same results or not :)

©2024 Curry Recipes