Author Topic: Onion to water ratio  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Onion to water ratio
« on: July 10, 2010, 01:47 PM »
Going on from another discussion regarding that new book thingy.  ::)

Some traditional methods call for two onions blended and browned, then added to the dish by way of sauce, for two people. Looking at the various bases on here, YouTube and so on. Many are similar, some so similar in fact, I wonder who could really taste the difference blind folded? Like Ramsey does on HK for example. The failure rate is scary, even for chefs.
This is not a knock, just an observation people yeah? 

I only use Red onions for my base for example, perhaps I should change? I don't really know? I just like the mellow feel, together with the green pepper.

Q. Has anyone here doubled the quantity of onions per base, and if so what were your results please? I'm going to try it soon, but on a scaled down version.

Cheers.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Onion to water ratio
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Hi Mikka,

How would you blend 2 onions to a paste and then brown it? I've blended things before to a paste and cooked them in a pan, but I've never ever been able to brown a paste made from onions, they've only ever stewed?

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 04:36 PM »
Hi Bar indeed, It takes a long while. They do go brown after most of the liquid has evaporated, not too much oil either.

Hope this helps?
Best.

Hi Mikka,
How would you blend 2 onions to a paste and then brown it? I've blended things before to a paste and cooked them in a pan, but I've never ever been able to brown a paste made from onions, they've only ever stewed?

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Thanks Mikka, I'll give this a try :)

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 11:59 AM »
Try blending the onions then squeezing the liquid out of them in a clean tea towel then frying them.

They soak up the oil like a sponge so keep stirring them or they will catch but they do cook out soon enough.

Cheers
CoR

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 11:08 PM »
Hi COR.
Never done that, but I do see your point. Don't they become dryer after that please? I use little oil since I eventually add tom sauce, depending on the dish? I my give that a go however.

Cheers.

Try blending the onions then squeezing the liquid out of them in a clean tea towel then frying them.
They soak up the oil like a sponge so keep stirring them or they will catch but they do cook out soon enough.

Cheers
CoR

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Hi Mikka

Not sure what you mean by 'drier' but you will almost certainly need more oil than you use now.

You should see and hear when the onion 'pulp' starts frying, at that point add your tom paste and carry on as usual.

Hope this helps
CoR

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 12:02 PM »
Hi COR thanks.
Yeah I understand. It's just that I've been told that the water is needed to soften the onion, with minimal oil. I did strain it once, then cooked it but ended up with a dry fried onion, which really wasn't the point of the process.  ;D

Thanks again. Anyway I'm going to double my onions up and see how I fare? It seems logical, at least to me. Noted too that on about 3 or 4 separate vids and images, their onions are left whole to break down. I'll do this too, might take a year or too, but there has to be a point to it.

Thanks again COR.
Cheers.

Hi Mikka

Not sure what you mean by 'drier' but you will almost certainly need more oil than you use now.
You should see and hear when the onion 'pulp' starts frying, at that point add your tom paste and carry on as usual.

Hope this helps
CoR

©2024 Curry Recipes