Author Topic: Tandoori Barbecue Offer  (Read 3091 times)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Tandoori Barbecue Offer
« on: July 15, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Hey has anyone actually bought one of these ??? i only noticed them the other day on the offers page on cro ?

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tandoori Barbecue Offer
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 02:42 PM »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Hi

Been trying to justify buying one of these for ages now, the idea is just so appealing.

They have some other ones here too: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Tandoor-Oven-and-Accessories.html

Apparently they can be used for whole chickens and legs of lamb too, quite versatile.

If any one does own one and has any feedback, I would love to hear it too!

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 02:53 PM »
i am defo buying one of these , wont be for 2 months though as skint until then, looking forward to the nans and chicken tandoori plus tikka ! Yum Yum !

Offline martinr1000

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 03:19 PM »
i have one, it cooks superbly and is an absolute winner at a party.

the only problem i've had has been down to getting the coals to light up at the back.

i have developed a strategy for getting this right though, i bought one of the metal fold out vegetable steamer thingies and removed a couple of the leaves. i then cover (literally) the bottom of the oven with fire lighters and sit the steamer on top of the them with the gap at the front where the tandoor air hole is.

light it with your blowtorch and bobs your uncle works every time.

you will end up having to repair loads of little cracks in it from time to time but it's just something you have to live with and it's easy enough to do.

oh one more thing it's frikkin' heavy

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 03:29 PM »
sorry forgot to add the link

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1133.0

Hi Gazman
Thanks for this, I think the link may be a bit old because on the Tandooriq site they are now retailing at ?299.
Is there still a cro discount?

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 03:33 PM »
@ Matt, not sure but i dont care as it will be well worth it, i was going to attempt to build my own in my garden but not now lol, i cant wait to get this piece of kit

@ martin , whats your fav thing to cook in it and have you tried nan breads in it and if so how well do they turn out ?

Offline martinr1000

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 04:20 PM »
the naans are the best hands down because they basically BIR quality. they have the lovely crisp base and blackening around the edges.

i'm not sure i've found a recipe for tikka marinade yet that does it justice though. the last one i tried was from Dipurajahs video but that was mega over spiced for my tastes.

i guess that i will be trying some of the recipes from the group test the next time i tandoor.

i think we did a fish in it once as well (for a veggie  ::) ) but we used one of those fish shaped cages that you can get for your bbq for that and not the skewers.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Hi Martin sorry to be a pain but do you have a good recipe for the nans that you use? i love garlic ones if you have one for that ?

Cheers

Offline martinr1000

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Hi Gazman,

i've tried quite a few naans from this site and a few from books etc.

many of them are quite similar in my oppinion and cook up really well. the main thing that i've done recently to improve my bread is to get a proper food mixer with a dough hook to knead it out.

i know it's not mega relevant but i was looking on this site the other day and it trys to describe the reasons for adding different ingredients to the dough and what characteristics they bring to the bread. for instance they say that eggs will improve texture and lead to a crispier finish of the bread.

http://www.correllconcepts.com/Encyclopizza/_home_encyclopizza.htm

i'm not sure about garlic naans. i've eaten some that just push slivers of garlic into the dough, bake it and brush with ghee. i've had some good ones in bradford where i think they just bake the bread and then brush it with garlic butter afterwards but i've not seen this up close.

©2024 Curry Recipes