Author Topic: Pilau Rice in a rice maker  (Read 4082 times)

Offline smadkitty

• Chef
    • View Profile
Pilau Rice in a rice maker
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:23 PM »
can it be done ?

I'm useless at rice I'm not a big fan but I NEED to know how to make it and I'm sure you'll all be able to advice me.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pilau Rice in a rice maker
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 02:56 PM »
Hi smadkitty,

well I've never used a rice cooker but it should still be possible. Get your whole spices and fry them briefly in butter ghee or plain veg oil, then add the rice and stir it around for a minute or so to coat the grains. Add this to the rice cooker with your normal amount of water...job done!

Offline smadkitty

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:37 PM »
ty will do that and let you know how it went, not planning to do it untill next thursday though :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 08:16 AM »
can it be done ?

I'm useless at rice I'm not a big fan but I NEED to know how to make it and I'm sure you'll all be able to advice me.

Hi Smadkitty,

You don't need a rice cooker, rice is very easy to cook as long as you follow some simple instructions. I've been making perfect rice for years and this is the method I use.

Wash your rice a couple of times to get rid of the starch.

Place in a saucepan and cover till there is about half an inch of boiling water above the rice. Stick the lid on and bring to the boil. As soon as it is boiling, turn the heat down to the lowest setting possible on your cooker and steam the rice for about 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes and you will have perfect fluffy white rice. Do not at any stage lift the lid during the cooking process.

This method works really well for a gas cooker. If you are using electric, I would suggest that you have 2 rings going. Use a large ring for boiling the rice and the smallest ring for the steaming as I know electric rings can take quite a while to cool down so if you only used 1 ring then the rice would continue to boil until the heat had cooled sufficiently :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 08:21 AM »
can it be done ?

If you want to do Pilao rice, then wash the rice and let it dry on some kitchen paper, make sure it is thoroughly dry.

Next in a saucepan add a knob of butter and some whole spices of your choice, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom pods, peppercorns, cumin seeds, whatever....

Melt the butter with those spices in, then add the rice and coat thoroughly with the butter and cook for about a minute until you begin to see the grains turn translucent and white. Then use the same method as previously for boiled rice.

If you want to add colour, just add a a few drops of whatever colour you like about 5 minutes from the end. Then mix together for a perfect pilao rice :)

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 08:33 AM »
Hi
I have a Tefal rice steamer and slow cooker, fantastic to use with superb results.
I wash the rice beforehand, and then let it dry for a while.
Heat some ghee in a pan and then add some whole spices such as cloves,cassia, bay leaves, cardamonn choice is yours.
Heat for 1 or 2 mins then add rice make sure it is coated in the oil then warm and add to cooker.
The cooker automatically calculates the time then goes into warm mode and the grains separate out even more if you leave it to warm.
It may take a little bit of experimentation with the water but my personal opinion, excellent.
M

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:35 AM »
i once gently fried the dry rice grains in loads of ghee, added cardoman, cinemon, aniseed, salt to the rice cooker and produced the closest replica to the rice from my local bir. it was spot on. I made sure each grain of rice was coated in ghee , before adding to the rice cooker. The chef at my local recommended adding aniseed seeds to rice. ( a few pinches only per portion) they also use safron for some rice dishes.

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 10:17 PM »
hi smadkitty,

ive always been useless at rice but this recipe works every time for me.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=396.0

©2024 Curry Recipes