Author Topic: how do i stop my sheek kebabs falling apart  (Read 33935 times)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
how do i stop my sheek kebabs falling apart
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:14 AM »
Hi

Has anyone got any tips how i can stop my kebabs falling apart i've been using CA's recipe but when it comes to turning them they fall apart i think its my technique of putting them onto the skewers, do i need to put them in the fridge just to set them? would adding bread crumbs help to bind them? need help been having to use mix for keema naans.

Jamie

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: how do i stop my sheek kebabs falling apart
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 08:08 AM »
Probably not very BIR or maybe it could be.

Add 1 egg to the mixture and mix in well with your hands. Your kebabs will stay moist and bind together far more easily and won't fall apart when you turn them :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 09:23 AM »
Hi Jamie

Did you see this group test from last month?

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4775.msg45308#msg45308

Give Razors a go and you shouldn't have any falling apart issues. He uses breadcrumbs and sets it in the fridge. They also taste awesome!!!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:01 PM »
You shouldn't have "falling apart" issues with my recipe either jamie.  The mixture has egg and flour in it (to bind it).  Perhaps you are somehow getting it too wet?  Are you sure that you're following the recipe properly?  If so, just mould (i.e. compress/squeeze) the mixture around the skewers.  It should stick just fine.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 02:40 PM »
Jamie, you might also consider whether or not you are allowing the kebab to cook on one side properly, before trying to turn it.  You can also try cooking on a lower heat, which will allow the kebab to cook through more before being turned.

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 04:40 PM »
Hi

I do follow your recipe CA been thinking about it today and i think that they maybe to wet i will try small eggs instead of large and also i think my onions could be a bit finer chopped

Jamie

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Jamie, i think your having the same problem as me.. is your skewers really thin? try  grilling them without skewers just rolled them around on the grills grill.

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 06:42 PM »
Hi guys
I made some  kebabs this afternoon using the CA recipe, and very nice they were.
Rather than put onto skewers I made into burger shapes and placed under grill.
Matt

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 11:34 PM »
i think my onions could be a bit finer chopped

I've never tried CA's recipe, but a few general tips I always follow:

Squeeze as much juice out of the onions as you can, just wrap in kitchen towel and squeeze.

Get thick skewers. I use the same ones as Razor - 8mm square ones. Seekhs are always cooked on thick skewers at BIRs, with a thin layer of meat - 4mm-5mm approx around the skewer.

Really give the meat a good working with your hands when you are mixing the ingredients.

Try without egg or flour, these can actually make things worse, depending on the mince you are using.

Hope this helps,

GAry

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:13 AM »
You shouldn't have "falling apart" issues with my recipe either jamie.  The mixture has egg and flour in it (to bind it).  Perhaps you are somehow getting it too wet?  Are you sure that you're following the recipe properly?  If so, just mould (i.e. compress/squeeze) the mixture around the skewers.  It should stick just fine.

I hadn't even looked at your recipe Cory, but great minds think alike! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes