Author Topic: The Tikka Group Test for July 2010  (Read 12356 times)

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
The Tikka Group Test for July 2010
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:58 AM »
I made a start on the Tikka group test yesterday..

I halved the ingredients for the marinade and used 4 chunks of chicken per marinade.

I added a little colouring to one of the marinades because i wasnt fond of the colour but left Maddhur as is.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Tikka Group Test for July 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 09:08 AM »
Someones in for a feast tonight!! :)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 10:43 AM »
what a joyful uplifting image to see on a drab monday morning ! tee hee  ;D  sterling work mr fish

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Well the site seems to be in turmoil at the moment so I was unsure to post this.. anyway, I did my tikka test the other night and Im sending the results to chris..

good luck all

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 11:01 AM »
Well the site seems to be in turmoil at the moment so I was unsure to post this..

It's all back to normal, as if nothing had happened, curry on  ;D

Tikka looks great BTW  8)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 11:31 AM »
Hi Fi5h

This is like a breath of fresh air after the recent going on's.

Once again, you've got straight in there and rolled up your sleeves, and done youself proud, well done.

Can I just ask, did you scale down each recipe to make smaller versions and did you cook them all the same way, i.e, BBQ, grill, bake or did you stick to the spec methods?

Without giving too much away, was there much variation in taste, flavour and texture?

I'm super busy at the moment at home doing lots of DIY jobs (nearly finished now) so as soon as I get the chance, I'll be giving this on a go very soon.

Well done again mate,

Ray :)

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 11:50 AM »
Thanks Razor,

I scaled down all the marinade by 50% and used 4 chunks of chicken per marinade, using 100% of the menu would have been quite costly.

I normally cook chicken tikka in the oven but my oven`s element blew the other day so I did them under the grill. (im looking for a new oven because the element has gone 3 times in the last few months)

Without giving anything away my wife and I thought there was very little between them, they were all of a high standard, when I come to cook tikka again I`m going to have a tough job deciding which recipe to choose. There was a surprise amongst them, while preparing the Maddhur marinade I thought it smelt and tasted a little to strong of cardamon but when it was cooked... well, I`ll let you guys try it lol 

Andy

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Andy,

Without giving anything away my wife and I thought there was very little between them

This was what I was thinking too.  I think the real acid test for chicken tikka, is to sample it cold.  I know that sounds strange but hot chicken tikka, all seems to taste very very similar.  Once it's cold, I can really pick out individual flavours like lemon, mint and so on.

I also think grilling any meat, beit chicken or lamb, always produces much jucier pieces then when they are baked.  I would grill all of my tikka samples unless any recipe strictly requires another method.

Ray :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Fi5H

Looks fantastic - a real tikkafest.

I'm with Razor, I always grill tikka on foil (gives a bit of reflective heat but mainly ensures there is no mess, just chuck the foil away). I also wondered - did you save some to taste the next day before scoring?

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 01:34 PM »
I also wondered - did you save some to taste the next day before scoring?

are you kidding.. they were so mor`ish i couldn't help myself lol

Razor, good tip about eating them cold, we took drinks of pure orange juice and waited a while before going onto the next one, although that didnt take the whole taste away from the palate its helped a little. Once we did the first round of testing we had to do another just to make sure lol.

Andy 

©2024 Curry Recipes