Author Topic: The Tikka Group Test for July 2010  (Read 12397 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Tikka Group Test for July 2010
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 12:07 PM »
It is interesting as I can see that using the same marinade would be the norm across the water, but in my experiences I have found Tikka to be slightly sweeter with a more refined flavour than Tandoori which is more savoury and with a coarser flavour.

I am happy to run with any decision but for the purpose of thoroughness, I wonder if we should separate Tikka and Tandoori as two different tests. Thereby discarding Tandoori recipes for now unless the originator uses the same recipe for both.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 12:20 PM »
hi Axe,

I totally agree with you on the differences between tikka and tandoori.  The thing is, tikka is supposed to be ate as a dry starter or main.  I think the fact that we (British) started to demand it in our curries, meant that the restaurants had to accomodate us.  I think the tandoori flavour is robust enough to maintain it's flavour, even when drowned with curry sauce, and it's probably for this reason why 'tandoori and tikka' are now found to be the same thing.

Just a theory of course :P

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 01:23 PM »
I only ever have Tikka as it is intended, i.e. served on a sizzler with a bed of onions (unless i'm at home of course). I must say though I haven't seen many that offer Tikka in curry dishes. Mind you, I rarely shop around for my curries when eating out, choosing to stick with what I know and like so that might explain it.

The questions should be, is there any real noticeable difference in this variation. Surely the flavour or a peice of tikka would be lost in a dish like a vindaloo. Would someone really be able to taste the difference between a Chicken Vindaloo and a  Chicken Tikka Vindaloo?

I guess there must be something in it as it is clearly on menu's as an option but too me it just seems over the top.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Again Axe, i have to agree. 

Chicken tikka in a vindaloo would be a waste of time IMO.  I do think it has a part to play in the medium to hot dishes such as Bhuna - Madras.  The other thing to remember also when making any tikka curry is, make sure that the tikka is cold when it goes in.  If not, the sauce ends up rinsing the chicken of most of it's marinade, and you just end up with chicken in a tikka madras sauce, which is then no longer a madras, if you catch my drift?

Ray :)

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Guys, if you want to try something that doesn't follow the usual rules of Chicken Tikka, try the  Maddhur Jaffrey recipe:- http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=51.0

very unusual and very surprising.

Andy

Offline bickerton

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 02:24 PM »
Top tip - if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for a couple of hours first!

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 02:35 PM »
Hi

Interesting the variances around, I like tika in a balti.  Personally I take the bone in, bone out view and use the same marinade.

Regards

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2010, 06:42 PM »
I actually quite like chicken tikka vindaloos, I was planning on having one for my tea. Even with the very spicy sauce you can still easily tell the difference between tikka or plain. The texture is usually significanly different too, the tikka is very dry from the tandoor, versus the wet boiled chicken. I don't have a huge preference for one or the other but it's nice to switch between them for a change.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 09:39 PM »
you can definately tell the diff between normal chicken and tikka chicken in a vindaloo - i find that a rather bizarre comment axe - tikka is marinated and also done in the tandoor - normal chicken is not although it is marinated but no tikka style - obviously depends on yer region - i am from glasgow

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 12:48 AM »
Gazman, can you describe the noticeable difference? is it taste or as Chris explains texture from the pre cooked tikka? and are you talking vindaloo or a milder dish?

I'm curious if you like, based on the Tikka I am used too, I really can't see that a hot dish will allow a discernible palette to tell the difference in taste alone.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 01:52 AM by Axe »

©2024 Curry Recipes