Author Topic: Balti videos on eBay!  (Read 8679 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Balti videos on eBay!
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 06:28 AM »

The ginger is not peeled, even though the ingredients page says that it should be.
Can anyone else who has seen the disc confirm this.

Hi ian,

That's an interesting obvservation! I am not certain if I remember the narrator mentioning peeling and grating the ginger on the tape but assumed that's we are meant to peel and roughly chop it first which is what I do. Can't see the point of eating the skin as well!

Interestingly in one of Mridula Balkejar's books she tells you how to make Ginger Puree in a blender and say's there is "no need to peel it first"!!!??? Whatever floats yer boat but my preference is to get rid of the skin first.

Ray

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 06:36 AM »
The base looked more substantial than the KD base, the final dish (Chicken Balti) looked very like the kind of thing I'd expect in a restaurant.

Hi Ian,

I find the base quite similar to the K.D. one, simple and fairly bland but a good starting point to build on for getting that good final result. The Chicken Balti is very good as is the C.T.M. and gets good comments from all I have served it up too.

I might keep harping on about it but this base and subsequent recipes are great for the novice or first timer as they are uncomplicated and also smell, look and taste good enough to impress your family and friends.

Certainly worth an afternoons effort grafting over a hot cooker in my opinion.

Regards

Ray G

Offline traveller

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 09:13 AM »
Not to be a spoilsport or anything again, in the US they say that the ginger skin is full of pesticides and chemicals that can be removed only by peeling!  But I have read in many places (not in the US) that the skin has a lot of flavor and should be kept on.  I know, I am the person who is always posting bad things about your ingredients but just sharing what I have learned!  Sorry!

Payal

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005, 10:18 AM »
Yes, the pesticide thing is a problem. If the ginger is fresh out of the ground and has been organically grown, then it definitely is worth using the skin. However, the way we buy it in the supermarkets, there's no way of knowing what's been sprayed on it and it's generally too old so the skin has become leathery. It's definitely better to peel it.

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2005, 11:33 AM »
Watched the vegetarian disc this morning.

Spotted at the beginning while the restaurant kitchen is being shown one of the chefs skims the oil from the dish he's cooking and places it back into a large pot  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes