Author Topic: That unatainable taste  (Read 8686 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: That unatainable taste
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Nice post Taffy and good to see you back on the forum Panpot as I have continued to make curries using the Ashoka recipes since you did your mega post.

If I am reading your post correctly Taffy, you are frying 4 onions only, nothing else, no spices etc. and you are frying them down on a mega low heat until they are caramelised right down and then spooning or sieving off the remaining oil?

How much oil are you starting with or using up over the 3/4 hours?

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 09:15 PM »
hi pp if you are in rye then you are only 12 miles from tenterden and st michaels where Mouchak is my fav restaurant and /or the raja of kent, st. michaels ( voted kent best restaurant 2009 awarded in 2010), the oldest of 3 brothers owns the 4 restaurants chain 1 works in Mouchak as chef 1 in the raja as the chef ( i drive past the raja everyday and the carpark is always packed even monday nights). but mouchak was where it all started though just as a takeaway then after 2-3 years and constant requests from the customers it became a restaurant and now they own 4 of them the best in kent ( raja of kent, st michaels) , the largest in kent (raja of kent in maidstone) seats 288! 1 in dartford and MY favourite MOUCHAK! well worth the trip i think could even meet up for a ruby. ;D

regards
gary :)

Offline CaliforniaTaffy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 10:18 PM »
Stephan, I use mostly grapeseed or peanut oil, about a 3-4 tablespoons to start the chopped onions with, without overcrowding the onions, I use 3 med onions.
The oil doesnt evaporate much so the grapeseed oil gets infused with the onion oil, when the chopped onion dissapears to almost nothing pour into the curry base or into a bowl, then start another batch, and repeat until you get tired of keeping a eye on it.
Just dont let it burn or as you already know, there will be a bitter taste.

Jerry Griffiths

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 12:00 AM »
cheers Jerry

Offline CaliforniaTaffy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 02:49 AM »
Cheers and lot's o hot belly burn.

Jerry

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 07:15 AM »
Quote from: CaliforniaTaffy link=topic=4855.msg46274#msg46274
Reducing the chopped onions down to liquid produces a red oil which also gives the curry a red color

Could you explain that a bit more please? What do you mean by cooking down to a liquid? I can't envision that.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Hi panpot, i often buy good curries from the bir restaurant in rye nearest the train station, on my way through rye back to hastings. I like their bhuna, and rogan josh. Some days are better than others, but when the head chef is on form, they are very good. Try the madras also, and jalfrezzi or balti . They do what i call above average south east curry, with the taste !   Nothing like the london curries I sampled recently. Cheers DD

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 05:48 PM »
Gary and DD, its amazing you are both so close. I am well aware of the  Raja of Kent having passed it on the corner on a number of times and have always wanted to go there. I have never been in the one on the main road through Rye but have enjoyed food in the one up on the shopping street up the hill.  Gary I have a good mate down here who will be back from his holidays in a couple of weeks and would be up for a jaunt with me up to the Raja if you fancy sharing a meal and pointing me in the right direction with the food. Perhaps DD if its not to far for you we could make it a foursome and who knows maybe another out there on our doorstep could join us too. Just a pity Jerryand maybe Stephen and Secret Santa couldn't join us too?? cheers Panpot.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 05:56 PM »
sounds fun Panpot, I always assumed you were living near glasgow !  And here you are, practically on my door step lol  ;D   

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 06:21 PM »
I'm too far away unfortunately Panpot but I would definitely have enjoyed this.

©2024 Curry Recipes