Author Topic: The Bengal Dynasty, Llandudno.  (Read 37564 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
The Bengal Dynasty, Llandudno.
« on: August 04, 2010, 02:55 PM »
Hi fellas,

Just had a week in Llandudno, pronounced "Cclandidno" they get really arsy if you don't say it right! 

I went to the Bengal Dynasty Tandoori Restaurant (Bangladeshi owned) I ordered a Lamb Jal Frezi (they didn't do Lamb TIKKA Jal Frezi ???, even though they had lamb tikka on the menu)

Now this restaurant came highly recommended by the locals.  On entering the place, what hit me straight away (or didn't) was the lack of BIR aroma!  The curry came and much to my disappointment, they was no oil floating on the surface, and very little sauce.  On my first taste, I immediately detected that the spices hadn't been cooked out.  The sauce was very gritty and over spiced. The meat was tender but, I'm sure that it was lamb shank, cooked very slow and long, and just pulled off the bone and added to the sauce.

I couldn't even detect any garlic in there, and I kept asking the wife if she could smell garlic on me over the evening, and she said that she couldn't smell a thing!

When I got back to the hotel, the staff asked me how my curry was, and when I told them that it was crap, by far the worst I'd ever had, they responded by telling me that I'd gone to the wrong one!

Funny, I had a feeling that they was gonna say that somehow :-\

For the first time in my life, I couldn't finish my curry (gutted) I would go as far as to say, that even in my novice years of curry cooking, I've never made one as bad as this.

Ray :)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Bengal Dynasty, Llandudno.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 03:09 PM »
OMG thats horrible Ray, i will avoid like the plague if i am ever in Wales lol

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:51 PM »
Gaz,

You're correct mate, it was horrible.  The thing that amazed me most, was it was almost a full house.  And everyone seemed to be having a good time.  Now they was either being too polite, or, they were too pissed up to know any difference.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:07 AM »
I went to the Bengal Dynasty Tandoori Restaurant...Now this restaurant came highly recommended by the locals....For the first time in my life, I couldn't finish my curry (gutted) I would go as far as to say, that even in my novice years of curry cooking, I've never made one as bad as this.

Now imagine you are one of the locals and you come to this site as a novice curry cook, try a few of the curries here and think, my god, this is great, not just as good, but better than the BIR.

Do you see how it's all relative? For me this is total vindication of my opinion that the curries on this site are nothing special. It's just a matter of what you're used to...and I'm used to better!   :-\

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:31 AM »
my opinion that the curries on this site are nothing special. It's just a matter of what you're used to...and I'm used to better!   :-\

Still waiting for your recipes SS...... ::)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Give it a rest CA it's like a broken record...do we really need all this crap in every single thread? ???

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Domi it's his stated intention to continue this harassment (to the detriment of the forum). Poor lad, still hasn't got over being kicked out as  a moderator. Ironically he even complains about his posts getting deleted now.  ;D

What goes round comes round.   ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:27 PM »
Give it a rest CA it's like a broken record...do we really need all this crap in every single thread? ???

I'll "give it a rest" when SS (and one or two others Domi  ;)) give it a rest luv  ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 02:13 PM »
Domi it's his stated intention to continue this harassment

If you want to consider "holding you accountable for you negative and abusive comments" as "harrassment" SS, then so be it.  But I don't.

Quote from: SS
Ironically he even complains about his posts getting deleted now

Bit of a stange interpretation SS.  I am more than happy that ANY and ALL personally insulting and abusive comments are deleted, including any of mine.  Unfortunately, for you, that means your post count would effectively diminish to zero, or thereabouts.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 04:46 PM »
SS,

It's just a matter of what you're used to...and I'm used to better!   

I do agree with you on this.  If the locals of Llandudno came onto this site and tried some of the recipes here, they would withoutdoubt, be over the moon, especially if the Bengal Dynasty Tandoori is anything to go by, as to what they're used to!

The one thing that did get me thinking though, the curries from yesteryear, 70's/80's were predominantly Bangladeshi, at least they were here in Manchester.  The Bengal Dynasty is also Bangladeshi, but a million miles away from what I remember, taste wise.

Now, I know we have talked about regional variances, and we have also discussed the differences between Bangladeshi, Punjabi, Pakistani and so on, so this one is a real puzzler.  Afterall, if the Bangladeshi BIR cuisine had it's own unique style and flavour, then surely this place should have replicated what I've experienced in the past? 

Or, maybe I'm just over analysing things a bit, it's probably just a shithole getting away with charging overpriced, sub standard curries to us tourists :-\

©2024 Curry Recipes