Author Topic: cracked it  (Read 4760 times)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
cracked it
« on: August 04, 2010, 10:21 PM »
its all bout technique , i just made the most amazing bir curry with same flavour as my local , used ca's base minus spiced oil , not required , its all about scraping back and knowing whn to add the other stuff , technique is key , i will post a full instructon tomorrow - v impressed with my madras lol

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: cracked it
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 12:02 AM »
nice one gazman I look forward to reading your full post

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 07:34 AM »
its all about scraping back and knowing whn to add the other stuff , technique is key

I think I agree with you. Numerous base sauces and recipes haven't done it for me. Really looking forward to your next post!   ;)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:50 AM »
ok so i made a madras last night , i had sum precooked chicken sat aside , i dont bother marinating it as i dont really see the point as i always eat a madras and the chicken is ciovered in the sauce when eating - i boil a kettle , cut my chicken breat into long thin strips then put in my wok - turn heat up full ~( gas cooker ) then pour the boiling water over it and keep boiling for 4 mins - chicken done

now i used ca's base minus the spiced oil for the madras - i used my wok and turned the gas up high and waited till the wok was smoking - i then put a chefs spoonful of cold reclaimed oil into the pan followed by 1 tablespoon of tomatoe puree , 1 teaspoon heaped of garlic puree and 1 lever teaspoon of ginger puree - kept stirring for 30 seconds only then added a ladle of cold base ( when the base started to heat up and bubble i turned the gas down half way and watched it , the thin base started to thicken so thats when i started to scrape back and stirr a couple of times - i then added another ladle of base followed by 1 teaspoon of deggi mirch and 1 teaspoon of extra hot chilli powder and mixed in - left base cooking for 5 mins then started scraping back and mixing back in - i then added my precooked chicken and a big pinch of dried methi leaves  - mixed in and scraped back and left until i seen the oil break ( bout 4 mins ) - scraped all back and put in a dish - it was amazing - not sure if it was a fluke but when i am home tonight i am going to try it again as got loads of base left - hence why i think its all to do with technique - same as JB chef has shown him !

Garry

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:19 AM »
Hi gazman1976

Very promising & exciting!

Please can you confirm exactly what you do when you 'scraped back'?

Thanks

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:27 AM »
yeah sure , the side of the wok has sauce on it sticking to it , and the botton the sauce was getting thick so i used my spoon and scraped the bottom of the wok and the side so nothing was sticking , ie the thicker it got the more it was sticking, dont know if that makes sense lol, but i kept mixing when i seen it like that

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Hi

Thanks for the explanation.

Also, where was the cold reclaimed oil from please? the base? - I never seem to be able to reclaim any oil when I make CA's base :(

Thanks

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:52 AM »
should have made that clearer , its the oil from the bhajis i made lol , i use a cheap asda deep fat fryer and have made well over 150 in the last year , nearly every weekend they get made

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:42 AM »
also the base was made 6 days ago if that helps

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 11:06 AM »
sorry