Author Topic: From A Horse's mouth  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
From A Horse's mouth
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Guys, I have had in my possesion for a little while some new recipes given to me by a restaurant owner in Glasgow. I am not at liberty to say where from but may well be able to do so in the future. Before I post them I am not sure if the chef has modified them for our use or whether they are the real thing and again not sure if the ingredients have been scaled down and so  may effect the end result. My advice as with The Ashoka recipes is don't be a smart so and so and attempt to tinker just do as it says and good luck. PP

PILAU RICE

Makes 5 portions - take 1 1/2 cups of basmati rice and wash twice.
2 tbs cumin seeds
6 cloves
3 mint leaves
1 1/2 tbs salt
4 small cinnamon sticks
8 tbs oil

Put all the ingredients in a pot on a high heat for 5 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of hot water and bring to the boil, and the rice and keep stirring until the water has absorbed into the rice. Put the lid on the pot and turn down till a low heat for 10 minutes, remove the lid and separate rice with a fork.

NAN BREAD

For 6 nan
Take four cups of self raising flour, add 1 tsp salt,1/4 cup of milk, mix together into a dough and leave for one hour, give a good few punches then make into 6 balls. Put some oil on the top then cover it. Roll out with a rolling pin and put in a tandoor.

CHICKEN CHASNI

4 portions, first you have to make the curry sauce.
6 big onions - chopped
2 tbs cumin seeds
3 pints of water
1 tbs salt
Add all the ingredients into a pan and boil until the onions are cooked. Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp of chopped red chillies, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tbs tomato puree, 1 tbs curry powder and 1 tsp coconut cream. Blend everything together.

Then take 8 tbs of mango chutney, 8 tbs tomato ketchup and 1 tsp red colouring and blend together

Take a frying pan and add 4 portions of the curry sauce and the red chutney then pour in single cream until you get the right colour Add chicken and heat until cooked and then serve.

TIKKA MASALA

Use the same recipe to make the curry sauce as above. Take 1 portion of curry sauce and a big spoonful of chopped green peppers, 1 big spoonful of onions. Add single cream until you get a rich yellow colour. Add pieces of chicken tikka and keep on the heat for 7 minutes then serve.

MADRAS/ VINDALOO.

Take 1 portion of curry sauce, add 1 tbs mixed red and green chillies. For Vindaloo add 4 tbs of red chillies.

ONION BAHGI

Take 1 onion, cut it in half then slice.
Take one cup of gram flour,1 tsp salt, yellow food colouring, 1tsp red chillies and add water until the mixture is runny. Put the onion in a bowl and add some flour base and mix. Put in a fryer on the same heat you would use to make chips. Cook until they turn nice golden brown colour.

Well there you go. I worry when the recipes are all split up by Admin as I feel like the Ashoka posts they should be kept together as they relate to each other and deserve to be kept together for what they are genuine recipes from a BIR and not the attempts of ourselves. Maybe you could comment on that point and convince the powers that be to keep them together. Anyway I just as ever want to help. The site has been a major part of my culinary life and its good to give back PP

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: From A Horse's mouth
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:31 AM »
Hi PP,

Great post as ever.

I totally agree with you, The Ashoka recipes do deserve to be all found in one place and I have raised this on the forum on a few occasions

I also asked of the same for the the kushi recipes.  Just something like a 'recipe collections' section or something?

Ray :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 07:41 AM »
1 1/2 tbs salt

Panpot - many thanks for these recipes. My only suggestion is: why not use decimals rather than fractions, e.g. 2.5 cups rather than 2 1/2 cups which I think looks a bit unwieldy.

I'm sorry I missed the oil when I first read the recipe. My mistake.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:15 AM by George »

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 08:50 AM »
1 1/2 tablespoons of Salt ??  :o

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 09:43 AM »
My advice as with The Ashoka recipes is don't be a smart so and so and attempt to tinker just do as it says and good luck. PP

PILAU RICE

Makes 5 portions - take 1 1/2 cups of basmati rice and wash twice.
2 tbs cumin seeds
6 cloves
3 mint leaves
1 1/2 tbs salt
4 small cinnamon sticks
8 tbs oil

Put all the ingredients in a pot on a high heat for 5 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of hot water and bring to the boil, and the rice and keep stirring until the water has absorbed into the rice. Put the lid on the pot and turn down till a low heat for 10 minutes, remove the lid and separate rice with a fork.

Panpot - many thanks for these recipes. I'm with you on the general point about not amending recipes until you've tried the original first. BUT this approach relies on the original recipe being viable. I just looked at the pilau rice recipe and this can't be right surely???!!! You put the rice and other dry ingredients in a pan on high heat with no liquid??? Shouldn't it be that you add the 2.5 cups of water first. So this recipe requires amendment, even to stand a chance of working. Suggestion 2: use decimals rather than fractions, e.g. 2.5 cups rather than 2 1/2 cups which I think looks a bit unwieldy.

Did you miss the 8tbs of Oil George ?

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 09:47 AM »
OK Guys, why are you so quick to criticise? I stated right from the kick off here that this is what I was given from the chef by the owner. George, it's quite clear never mind common sense that the ingredients minus water include oil for the rice. As for salt then it could be an easy typo by the chef who may not speak English well but hey start with 1 1/2 tsp of salt. These were handed to me in the curry house by the esteemed owner from the chef on a   single A4 sheet and typed. All I have done is posted them as is. Look surely when we get a gift from a chef no matter who it was given too until it's been actually tried I don't think we do ourselves any favours by jumping in to make changes. Also as ever there are regional variations that are down to the nationalities of owners and chefs that we should also have the decency to respect. I welcome all the lessons I have gained from this wonderful site and can seek out more recipes given my contacts and will continue when it takes my fancy to visit and contribute as ever. I hope this helps PP

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 09:52 AM »
Here here panpot!! :)

Unfortunately this site has gotten into a downward spiral because of a certain few.....

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 10:21 AM »
I can only re-iterate (and I'm not on commission from Ashoka) what Panpot already knows that I am a big fan of the Ashoka recipes, and straight from the shelf they produce yummy curries, which may not be to everyone's taste. For example I found the base recipe to be over salty, so I reduced the salt etc.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 10:23 AM »
OK Guys, why are you so quick to criticise? I stated right from the kick off here that this is what I was given from the chef by the owner. George, it's quite clear never mind common sense that the ingredients minus water include oil for the rice. As for salt then it could be an easy typo by the chef who may not speak English well but hey start with 1 1/2 tsp of salt. These were handed to me in the curry house by the esteemed owner from the chef on a   single A4 sheet and typed. All I have done is posted them as is. Look surely when we get a gift from a chef no matter who it was given too until it's been actually tried I don't think we do ourselves any favours by jumping in to make changes. Also as ever there are regional variations that are down to the nationalities of owners and chefs that we should also have the decency to respect. I welcome all the lessons I have gained from this wonderful site and can seek out more recipes given my contacts and will continue when it takes my fancy to visit and contribute as ever. I hope this helps PP

Not knocking you or the Recipe Panpot I think it's great when these Recipes come from ' The Horse's Mouth ' I was just questioning the amount of Salt .  :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 10:37 AM »
I worry when the recipes are all split up by Admin as I feel like the Ashoka posts they should be kept together as they relate to each other and deserve to be kept together for what they are genuine recipes from a BIR and not the attempts of ourselves. Maybe you could comment on that point and convince the powers that be to keep them together. Anyway I just as ever want to help. The site has been a major part of my culinary life and its good to give back PP

This was one of my suggestions when the moderators were asking for suggestions for improving the site but it was never taken up. I was suggesting that threads could be attached to base recipes so you might have a BE section, a KD section etc. Please before anyone starts dissing BE or KD, the suggestion is about the way posts are structured not the individuals themselves. I don't want the hassle of having to defend posts just because someone gets judgemental.

©2024 Curry Recipes